Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vision X "Tantrum" LED rock light/strobe kit

Vision X "Tantrum" LED rock light/strobe kit

I bought a set of these Vision X "Tantrum" LED rock light/strobe kit, and got them partially installed today. They are pretty cool and the kids get a kick out of the strobe features. I found them on sale at amazon.com for $76. I got a $25 amazon giftcard for xmas, so I'm only $51 into these. I have to say though, that other than this sale, the link to the Sierra Expeditions is about the lowest I found. I was actually going to order from them or Poly Performance (since they're local and I could pick them up), and then I stumbled on the amazon one.

I got them partially installed today. I basically used some metal flashing I had around to make some brackets to attach them to the frame and body. The flashing is strong enough to hold the lights, but easy to bend to aim the lights. I'll get picks of the mounts/locations tomorrow. I still need to tidy up my wireing tomorrow as well.

Here are a few crappy pics that don't do them justice (I need to borrow April's camera so I can get a good shot that shows how far it reaches out around the 4runner)

First shot is just an automatic setting w/ no flash and really just picked up on the "spots" and not the ambient light all around.

These two shots show a little better the ambient light.

I'll get better shots and better angles tomorrow night.

The strobe feature is pretty cool and the kids really liked it. It will be fun to play around with out at the dunes and when camping. I don't have any video of it, but here are a couple youtube vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrfLELnEDaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH6ci...eature=related

My signature

Re: Vision X "Tantrum" LED rock light/strobe kit

very nice! the price isnt terrible either considering how well they seem to work

Thanks Troy. They do work really well for the price. If they were a little more of a "flood" pattern, they would be even better. They do throw out a lot of light though that isn't showing up in the pics.

For this electrical newb, it was well worth the price. The only "wireing" I may have to do, is hardwire the power, it is all plugnplay. It actually has a 12v cig plug on it now, but I think I will haredwire it soon.
    My signature

nice

Does the kit actually work with a remote like in the first video?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Yeah, it has the master control inside the vehicle and a keyfob remote that supposedly works up to 1,000ft away. The remote will do all the same functions of the master control as well.
    My signature

Okay, some install pics.

Master control mounted with supplied 3M tape

It has 8 LED's that let you know what the lights are doing, also, the master control has the built in mic sensor so it can strobe to the music if you feel like it

The distribution box

Mounted to the fuse box with velcro so that I could still read the fuse diagram
    My signature

Excuse the mud, if you've ever been to Los Osos, you know they have a confusing array of pointless deadends and streets that turn to dirt for a block or so for no apparent reason. My friend lives just a few streets over and down a block, but if I have to drive in a big circle to get to his house due to deadends. Unless I take the one dirt road that goes through, but due to the recent rains it turns into a giant mudhole. Needless to say, I got tired of going around and the water had finally receided some.

I just used some metal "flashing" I had laying around and made some quick brackets for the lights. I mean quick as in I did this in a couple hours (including running the wire to the engine compartment). I used existing bolts to mount the brackets. I cut slits in the brackets rather than drilled holes, this allowed me to just loosen the bolt, slide it on, adjust it, and then tighten it down good. These things are not very heavy, so I think they will be fine, but I'll keep an eye on them. I used the supplied 3M discs to attach the lights to the brackets. I can also bend this metal by hand which will really help dialing in the aiming of the lights.

Front (mounted to one of the bumper bolts) aimed forward some and out so it shines directly in front of the wheel

2nd one mounted behind the front wheel, just below the driver's door. I used one of the mounting bolts for where the OEM running board attached.

3rd is mounted in front of the rear tire and uses one of the mounting bolts for the OEM running board (I'm glad I kept the bolts in there when I removed the running boards )

Drivers side rear is mounted using one of the bolts on the spare tire lowering mechanism

Passenger rear is mounted on the frame using a hole already there and a bolt I had (just happened the only one I had that fit right was a grade 8 bolt, )

I'll try to get some better light output shots later.

My signature

Lets see if these show up any better.

Front:

Rear:

Side (lighting up April's Tacoma a little bit)

Edit: Meh, pics not that great. Looks like I need to do a night dune run.
    My signature

I haven't even tried the music feature yet on it. I'll have to try it one of these nights. I'm sure the kids will get a kick out of it. To be honest, I haven't tried it yet, because I feel too silly standing in my driveway by myself to try that feature out.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    ..and I can't remember if you've done the alternator upgrade yet, or is that a TOF topic I'd have to transfer in here? (Hint hint)
    Huh??? Not sure what TOF thread you're referring to... (sorry, I've got a head cold and not too quick this morning, so I'm not sure what the "hint" is )

But, no, I have not upgraded my alternator yet. ONe of the guys who makes a bracket for the 22RE to fit a big gm alternator, did have me over and we removed mine and took measurements for him to make a bracket for the 3.0's. Last I talked to him, I think he decided against doing it because it was pretty easy to do on the 3.0's so he didn't think they would sell as easily as the 22RE ones.

I may do it one of these days, but honestly with all the lights I have, I'm still below the draw you would have with just 2 100watt aux. lights (I'm at 178 watts with these and my 3 LF's). I'm not too worried at this point. I'm hoping to upgrade my LF 240 to HID soon and that will help even more.
    My signature

hmm, Looks like they work pretty well..

Me thinks: the strobe feature will have to be shown off at pismo OhNine

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast