Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Morph

Morph

Been plugging away at this slowly, and realized that some of my homies over here don't visit other sites, and visa-versa.

Background for those who don't know me or the truck.

Truck:

87 4runner
    22re
    Dual ARB air lockers
    ARB front bumper
    Marlin Ultimate
    4.88's in the diffs

I fabbed up my own belly crossmember, and rear bumper.

I put on a budbuilt budlight, and found it hung lower than my gas tank.

Got real tired of that last season, which prompted the current project.

Plans are not final, as money and whether things work will dictate how far this goes.

I'm trying some things with the rear that will either suck, or be cool, and either way be different. If those don't work, I'll either modify a leaf set up, or link it.

Constructive criticism welcome. Ignorant BS will be ignored.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Re: Morph

To begin:

The end of an era. Both pieces of equipment served me well, but it was time to retire. The ARB was an amazing bumper, and I loved it. But, it was a little too big for what I wanted.

The sliders were a metal shop final project, and were not built, or welded, as well as they needed to be. Amazingly, they held up quite well, but its time for something better.

I took off the bumper to sell it, which can be found here: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115010

The sliders I cut off now, because the truck was still mobile, and could make it up to HOW north. (buddy's place)

Neither one will be replaced for a number of months. Lots of other stuff to do first.

Next installment: Drivetrain lift preparation.

Progress: Got most of the dash out. Holy crap, dash boards suck. I like how simple an FJ-40 dash is. Couple of bolts and out it comes. Ugh.

Should be able to finish the dash in another day or so.

Xmember center:

Something's missing:

The heater core was a pain too, but got it out, and the hoses reconnected so it will still run enough to move around.

I've been working at the carpet. It isn't going well. Even with the heat gun, it is an outrageous process. I am flabbergasted by this crap. I simply cannot believe that the carpet UNDER THE REAR SEAT needed to be glued down like it was. Good lord.

First tranny cut was tenative. It gets bigger.

More stuff. Got the tank dropped.

Getting the fuel lines out sucked hard.

Tank dropped:

Lots of clearance

This spot now has lots of potential for cargo/something;

Another lovely thing: They started double paneling the floor once you get back a little way. Yeah, not fun.

Anyway pics:

Inside:

Closer to flat:

Like, bummer dude:

That horsecollar thing is going to suck a bit.

From there, I finished cutting out the floor, but didn't have pics because it was cold.

Got the tranny dropped and cleaned closer to a silver color.

Fabbed up my crossmember:

Plasma kicks ass. Two bottom brackets are 3/8", two L brackets are also 3/8", round tubes are .120 wall DOM, and the 4 smaller L brackets are 3/16", and the gussets are all 3/16".

All tacked up:

Tacked and put onto my spare case, to check for fitment:

You know whats good? Remembering to turn on your shielding gas.

No gas:

Gas:

Welded:

After cutting out my floor, I decided to get my rear suspension set up, so that, when building my tunnel, I wouldn't have any issues with the driveshaft in the rear.

So, last week, I pulled out my extra rear housing, from an 87 runner, and cleaned it. Then, I gutted it, pulling the axles, diff, brakelines, an diff studs.

On Saturday, I forgot my camera, but I drove to my buddy kevin's house, and plasma'd off the bracketry. Plasma is awesome. Burned everything off, and then had just a couple passes with a grinder to clean up. Super fun.

When that was done, it looked like this:

In Saturday's mail, my shaving kit arrived. Awesome!

The steel is all 3/8" plate.

So, I got to work.

Inked in:

Cut.

The cutting sucked. I cut too much in an error of judgement, as I thought the plate would sit differently. Not a huge deal, but just added extra welding, which translated to extra time while I let the housing cool between welds. One of those, kick-yourself-in-the-ass moments.

Set in place, ready to weld:

I took more pictures, but my internet sucks at home. So, I can barely get photobucket to work.

Finished product. I'm calling it my baby's bottom, as it is smooth like one.

My axle housing base is now smooth, and armored to 3/8". It also should give me about an inch of clearance. I will be measuring to see if its actually that much.

Currently its sitting in the garage with some old engine oil in it, to see if it leaks. Hopefully not.

Cheers.

You're crazy man!

Can I get that antenna mount from you? I was amused by the TTORA thread. I will trade idler arm parts/bushings that I found when I was back in Wisconsin.

You around tonight? I may be in the hood and would love to see the progress.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast