Thread: Tecnika MTN Approach Shoe Review

Tecnika MTN Approach Shoe Review

I recently decided that my old Hi-Tec trail running shoes had run the course of their useful life. I used those shoes as hiking shoes as well as light approach shoes for climbing, as well as when wheeling. One of the things I didn't like about them was the lack of stability I felt when scrambling up a steep grade or boulder-hopping. They had good traction on dirt and trail type situations, but I didn't feel confident for much beyond that. I wanted something that would do both well.

There are several companies that make "approach shoes" and even some climbing shoe companies that make shoes that they claim can take you to the base of the climb and then up the face. La Sportiva, Mad Rock, Scarpa, just to name a few. However, most of these shoes are downright funky looking, and stinkin' expensive. I needed something that wouldn't break the bank. Then I found these: The Tecnika MTN Approach. Here's a few of the specs:

- Built on a flexboard last
    - Dual-density die-cut EVA midsole
    - Asymmetric rubber toe rand, heel wrap and lace reinforcements
    - Mesh lining
    - VibramĀ® traction rubber outsoles
    - Weight: 2 lb.

I have had these for a little over a month, and have used them for hiking, scrambling, and even some buildering around town. I am VERY impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to say that I could even climb a 5.8 or 5.9 in them. The Vibram sticky dot technology absolutely sticks your foot to where you put it. They are wearing very well, and they are very comfortable. I highly recommend them.

I found mine on ebay, but you can get them for a steal at SierraTradingPost. Go get some.
    CJ &lt;IXOYE&gt;&lt;<br /><br />03 Tacoma DC TRD 4wd, bunchamods <br /><br />Avatar artwork courtesy of the one and only 04 Rocko Taco.

Re: Tecnika MTN Approach Shoe Review

Oh yeah, here's a pic:

I swapped out the stock laces for some black ones, and it looks way better.
    CJ &lt;IXOYE&gt;&lt;<br /><br />03 Tacoma DC TRD 4wd, bunchamods <br /><br />Avatar artwork courtesy of the one and only 04 Rocko Taco.

Re: Tecnika MTN Approach Shoe Review

wow thanks for the review!!! ive been looking at replacing my old clunky "hiking boots" with something a little more comfortable, allowing me to do more than walk at a slow pace up the trail, and something that will help with moving around an offroad trail in rocky or desert trail conditions. looking for something around 100 bucks, and something that will actually last a good bit of time. i dont need a professional type rock climbing shoe, because i dont rock climb, just need something to wheel with in the 3 nice seasons in socal here.

thanks again, ill definately consider these when i make a decision this spring!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.