Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Baskets Questions

Roof Baskets Questions

It looks like uncle sam is going to be nice to me this year. So I'm looking at getting a roof top basket to carry a gas/water can, supplies and shovel (so I can sleep in the back of my 4runner). Those who are running the Thule or Yakima setup did you just attach the basket to factory rails or did you get a foot pack that would fit in the factory rails. Possible also running another set of lights on top.

I know costco and coleman make as well. What else can you guys suggest to me.
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Re: Roof Baskets Questions

if you run any tight trails, get 44" crossbars or stick with factory rails.

i have a yak loadwarrior in marketplace as well.

just cant fit a RTT on it.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    if you run any tight trails, get 44" crossbars or stick with factory rails.

i have a yak loadwarrior in marketplace as well.

just cant fit a RTT on it.
    RTT??

Probable a stupid question but how does it affect your gas mileage? I know when I had a bike rack on top of my camry I lost about 2 mpg.

roof top tent
    2001 4Runner 3.4V-6 SR5 4x4 Money Pit<br />2008 FJC TT SE 6 SPEED stock

I originally started w/ one of the yakima megawarrior baskets but ended up going a different route. Picked up a really cheap root top cargo bin (looks like a big suitcase). All of my clothing and sleeping gear sit in there now. (it's light and does not raise my center of gravity.

All of my heavy tools, water, supplies and other misc stuff go inside the cabin which keeps my center of gravity low. This is key on those off camber stuff cuz I really hate that stuff! the gas now sits outside on my rear bumper
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

i have a basket (from the p/u shell) that i attach to the factory rails AND still use the cross bars, for additional support.

1-2mpg sounds about right. which is why i made it an easy on/off install.
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Would it be possible to fab up 4 brackets that would allow it to to sit lower. So the basket would rest on the 3 ribs that are part of the factory roof rack (either resting on or just slightly above), using the locations where the factory rail are as the connection point.
    So something simliar to this:

It's kind of sad I haven't been able to sleep because this idea is running though my head and I needed to get it out. It sucks too because I have to up at 5am.

I'll have a better design tomorrow or is there something like this already?

i would think so (cant see your pic at work)
    my basket however would not mount differently.

i have the 3 ribs removed and the baskets is attached w/4 tabs to the stock rails and uses the 2 cross bars for the additional support.
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

ttora,

to answer your question about mounts, here's a great money saving suggestion: buy the thule 416 mounts. they are the older thule mounts and they are fairly low profile. they are also one piece too...unlike the newer, 2 piece ones. you can find them CHEAP on ebay. of course, try to find ones w/ lock and key.

as for the basket, i had a lighter duty wire basket (yakima basketcase) and used to haul my stuff in that. well, i got tired of cleaning bug guts off my duffels as well as the possibility of theft. i bought a large cargo box (guess who gave good times that cool idea ) and i have never looked back. its lockable, carries a lot of stuff and best of all, keeps your shizzle clean and dry. if youre not convinced, take a look at this little vid of me going thru the mud a few years back at death valley. Not a single speck of mud touched any of my blankets, bags, etc.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i176.photobucket.com/player.s...lley_002.flv">

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    ttora,

to answer your question about mounts, here's a great money saving suggestion: buy the thule 416 mounts. they are the older thule mounts and they are fairly low profile. they are also one piece too...unlike the newer, 2 piece ones. you can find them CHEAP on ebay. of course, try to find ones w/ lock and key.

as for the basket, i had a lighter duty wire basket (yakima basketcase) and used to haul my stuff in that. well, i got tired of cleaning bug guts off my duffels as well as the possibility of theft. i bought a large cargo box (guess who gave good times that cool idea ) and i have never looked back. its lockable, carries a lot of stuff and best of all, keeps your shizzle clean and dry. if youre not convinced, take a look at this little vid of me going thru the mud a few years back at death valley. Not a single speck of mud touched any of my blankets, bags, etc.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i176.photobucket.com/player.s...lley_002.flv">
    Now your just showing off.

I've thought of that too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast