Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: M416 Trailer Build

Re: M416 Trailer Build

Quote Originally Posted by freejake3
    Do you have enough room for some gas cans in the front? Not a bad idea for those long road trips. I fabbed mine out of some spare angle I had lying around.
    Your trailer is looking good. Glad you were able to find a cover for it. Good idea on the angle iron for a gas can holder. On the front, I only have room for one can on one side because the parking brake handle is right where the second can would go. I don't want to give up my parking brake because that thing rocks. So I will probably go with 1 or 2 40mm ammo cans on the front. I have 2 regular gas can holders and may mount them like they are mounted on the m416b1 (they didn't make many of these). Maybe add some angle iron to them so that I can lock them.

My signature

from the look of his, he may have had a new front end built that ends up being longer, which could enable 8 cans or whatever put on diamond plate or something across the width of the trailer.

i think they sell those front sections at like TSC (tractor supply company) but dunno if they are long enough for that venture.

when i get one i plan on at least running 5-8 cans so i wont have to worry about freakin running out of gas lmao
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    from the look of his, he may have had a new front end built that ends up being longer, which could enable 8 cans or whatever put on diamond plate or something across the width of the trailer.
    The tongue on his trailer is much longer than the military ones. He built his own trailer frame and the bed is actually from a 1925 Model T truck.
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=146323
    It is really cool, I got to see it at Big Bear. Many guys do build new longer tongues for the military trailers, I think one of the links in my first post has a good pic by pic of how he did his. If you plan on carrying that many cans, I would suggest splitting it between the rig and the trailer. That way you don't have your eggs all in one basket. Makes it easier to base camp, leave the trailer, and still carry a couple cans for your all day excursion. I'll probably go for two on trailer and leave room for water.
    My signature

Great thread...Looking foward to your progress

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

I picked up some quick fist clamps from flyingwil at sierraexpeditions.com I got a couple packs of the regular ones that I will use for my high lift and shovel. I also got a pack of one of the new XL Quick Fists. I was planning on using them to secure my co2 tank to a 1st gen roll bar in my 4runner, but I thing I will use these ones to mount a propane tank to the trailer. Stay tuned for whenever I get to it, although I will probably do it before the June lake trip next month.

After that I really need to get a welder so I can fix my fenders and a couple holes and get this ugly beatch painted.
    My signature

I haven't found a new 10# or 11# propane tank, but my dad gave me an older one awhile back that doesn't have the new nozzle so it can't be refilled. It is over halfway full, so I am going to use it till it's gone and then see either about getting the new nozzle or getting a new tank. So, be forewarned about the ugly rust colored propane tank in the following pics, but hey it matches the trailer great!

I used a set of XL Quick Fists and mounted it to the front of the trailer. I even found a good use for my rifle cable lock from bootcamp. I do plan on running a bungee cord from one grab handle, through the holes on top of the tank, and to the other grab handle.

I was worried about what to do with those long straps when I don't have the tank on there, but I just weaved them together so they wouldn't be swinging all around.

My signature

I also bought a couple rafter hangers so that I could hang the propane tank by my table and run my lantern and stove.

Also, someone asked what the table would hold. Those are 25# bags of grout, I think it would hold more especially when I switch to c-clamps instead of my funky hooks that hang over the edge.
    My signature

lookin good, looks like ya got it set up nice
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

I made a cheap bed mat for my tacoma and I bought enough for the trailer, so I made a el cheapo mat for the trailer. The stuff I used is foam flooring and I found it at Costco, $12 for 32 sq. ft. with plenty of end trim pieces. My dad has been using the same stuff in his shop for awhile now and the stuff is surprisingly durable and very comfy. This will help to protect the bottom of my ice chest, water bottles, etc.. and will help cut down on the noise of stuff bouncing around. One other upside, it is very light! So for $24 I made a mat for my tacoma and trailer and I still have 4 full pieces (16 sq. ft.), some big scrap pieces, and many trim pieces left. I just used a utility knife with a new blade to cut the stuff. The tacoma mat is not going to be permanent, since I plan on getting the nice toyota rubber mat at some point.

The product and my helper:

Trailer mat:

Taco mat:
    My signature

Very nice, I need to get started on a trailer.

Aaron
    I can, because I don&#039;t know that I can&#039;t.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast