Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: M416 Trailer Build

Re: M416 Trailer Build

Took the trailer on its first trip with the Tacoma. Man was it nice, pulling it with something that had some power. The Tacoma pulled it great through Tioga Pass, which for those that have done it, coming up Tioga Pass from 395 is a killer. My only complaint is that the rear suspension is way too soft, I was in no way overloaded on weight or tongue weight, but it seemed to bottom out way more than it should. In this regards, the 4runner with its stock fj80 coils did way better.

Apparently this is the only pic of it hooked up to the Tacoma

They look good together at camp

I have to admit, the trailer looks a little more junky towed behind the taco compared to it towed behind the 4runner. In the words of Yoko, "But it is very nice looking"
    My signature

The el cheapo bed mat did a great job of cutting down on the noise and protecting the bottom of the ice chest, water container, and everything else while vibrating and bouncing around in there. I gave it a good workout on the worst 3 miles of paved road that I have been on in awhile (the road from 120 to Tamarack Flat Campground in Yosemite).

The XL Quick Fist held the propane tank just fine. The strap combined with the spare tire strapped to the front of it, that tank did not move at all. The only pain was that I had to loosen the spare to get the tank out and to put it back when it was time to leave, really not a big deal.

As promised, here are some pics of the trailer and kitchen set up:

My signature

That looks awesome! It makes me wanna start a project like that!

Not to go way off topic, but did you get that topper for your Tacoma from the dealer, or did you buy it from a Leer dealer? Did it come with that basket up there? I'm planning on getting a topper for my truck from Leer, and would rather have a basket then just the rack.

Jimmeh, thanks, it has been a fun and very useful project so far. I use it for work quite often, as my work truck gets really bad gas mileage. So now tend to use the work truck to get my tools and tile to the job and then I'll use my 4runner to commute for the length of the project. Sometimes, I'll grab the trailer if I need to haul some stuff, for example, I had 1100 lbs. of thinset in it the other day. Didn't phase it at all. I guess I need to get some work done on this thing so that I can update this thread. I have been useing it for camping though. Since the June lake trip, it has seen two weekends out at the Oceano Dunes. For Surf n Turf, I actually bombed around the dunes with it for a little bit and at the 4runner Jambo, I took it on the trail ride, so even though I am no where near finished, it is completely useable.

As for the shell, we did get the shell through the dealership (it's a long story and we ended up with a leer rather than a snugtop). I am happy with our leer although I do need to pull it off and add another weatherstrip to the front as it leaks. This is because the newer tacomas have the front slightly lower than the sides.

We got the leer with the yakima tracks and crossbars. The Thule MOAB basket we already had (it normally resides atop my 4runner) and we just switch it over to the Taco when it is time for a trip. Otherwise the only thing that is on top of the Leer for everyday driving is just the yakima tracks for a nicer streamlined look.
    My signature

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456