Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inclusive Language, a PC Derivative

Re: Inclusive Language, a PC Derivative

I find penises to be generally offensive and prefer not to be confronted with one.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
    Also- what about the inevitable "God bless you" following projectile sneezing. Since when does someone want their sneezes blessed? Not I... and yes, I know where the phrase comes from, but it's not enough to justify. I just cringe whenever I hear a mom bless my mucus, then go right back to scolding their child for annoying her, etc...
    no one is blessing anyones mucus by saying that, it's just a common courtesy. how can you seriously cringe over hearing that? what would you rather someone say when you sneeze?
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

because, for the most part, i don't think they have anything to do with God. it's just a personal preference. I don't say it, others do. I can understand that, and I don't confront everyone who uses it as I do realize it's a courtesy. Probably just something I have to think through.
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

The sneeze thing is because your heart stops when you are sneezing, it is a thoughtful response to the chance of your pending death.

I don't find the God bless you stuff offensive. I think that is significantly different from "come read the bible or you are going to hell."
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

I find it silly that people can let phrases or words have such an impact on their lives. Once again, words have no meaning unless people put meanings to them. If something offends you, get over it.

The notion that we should all never be offended makes me sad. An individual who can ignore "offensive" phrases is going to be far more successful than someone who curls up into a little ball and cries.

Political correctness is sad and pathetic.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

It's true David.

I work with a guy sometimes who really doesn't care about the PC stuff. He says whats on his mind and there are no boundaries. Once people get past the whole predisposition to being offended, it is a really good environment because little if anything is off limits. This leaves the floodgates open for discussion and lets people get closer, no one has their guard up.

I feel like some words have contextual meaning that is unescapable, but I agree with the idea that I have to let things offend me to have a problem.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

I will state that I do not just say what I want regardless of consequences, I will watch my language around the little ones or older people out of respect.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I don't just let my mouth run wild either and I'll watch what I'm saying around certain people. For example, if I'm hanging around a gay friend, I won't call someTHING gay. I agree with you though Oly that it's ridiculous that people can let some WORDS get to them so much. I feel like those people just want an excuse to get offended so they can start some drama and get some attention for a little bit.
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12