Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Tundra starter contact replacement write-up

2000 Tundra starter contact replacement write-up

Write-up imminent...stay tuned.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Re: 2000 Tundra starter contact replacement write-up

Haha! Well just as I sat down to upload and sort the images from my digicam, Mrs Fuster appeared and asked if I would go on a date w/ her. In most jurisdictions, accepting such a solicitation will get you arrested and perp walked down town. But since we're married and I'm usually attention starved, I dropped everything and went out with her. Sadly, the date was to Ikea wherein I spent the last few hours moping from pseudo room to miniature kitchen. Anyway I'm back to upload and comment.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

So about three weeks ago I turned the ignition of my 2000 tundra and got the familiar started contact fail click. I had changed the contacts in my 97 runner before, so I wasn't alarmed and knew I could still start my truck by turning the ignition until the starter would engage and fire the engine. This only works for a while.....skip to last night. Being chronically slothful, I procrastinated the repair until the bump the key method failed to yeild what I wanted. Last night while not far from my house, I could not get my started to engage.

This morning I called aroung to the Toyota parts dealers for price and availability. Each dealer rep tried to tell me that a certified yota tech should handle the job. They also tried to convince me that I needed a whole new starter. Undaunted, I found the parts I needed and picked them up.

The bay of my shop is occupied by my glacially progressing runner build, so I had to use the garage. It was 25 degrees F this morning so I set up my propane jet heater...

While the garage was warming I built a scaffold to better access the nether regions of my engine bay. I'm too old to crawl into the bay anymore. Note the C-clamps tying the plank to the stands. They're important because while stretching to the firewall my feet push the plank off onto the floor and I fall down go boom...

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Yes Ikea is the devil...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

First things first, Disconnect the battery...

And remove the throttle body cover

In the above photo the air intake hose is the black 3" tube that stretched from the air filter box the the throttle body. Remove that and all of the hoses attached to it. There is a wiring harness anchored to the back of it on the left side...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Since my short term memory can be unreliable I always alpha/numerically flag any hoses that I disconnect. This eliminates the possibility of forgetting to reconnect and misconnect.

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Next we remove all of the vac noses connected to the intake manifold. Flag if you wish, beware if you don't.

See the little blue plug at the 1 o'clock position of the oil cap? That's one of eight fuel injectors. Disconnect those at the plug.

Below is one having been removed. The best way to do it is insert a flat screwdriver between the hump at the top and the ribbed tang.

In the image below I show how it should go. Once the screwdriver is in position pry it until you see the tang move and pull the injector free. Try to ignore the fungus ridden snuffleupagus trunk holding the screwdriver....

Now is a good time to remove the throttle cable
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Edit: there's really no fungus. That's just a distorted image of my thumb...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

With the injectors and water temp sensor pigtail off. It's time to remove the throttle body. It is positioned directly in front and center of the intake plenum. It is secured by 2 bolts at the bottom and two nuts at the top. I believe they are 12mm...

Dang, my throttle body pic sucks. Here's a pic of the plenum. The big hole in the front is where the throttle body lies. Figure it out.

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Next we remove the fuel supply line. It is located at the rear of the plenum on the driver's side. The pic below illustrates what the fastener looks like. The line has already been removed though. Note the wrench size is 22mm. One thing to watch for is the washers that sit between the fastener and the fuel line. There are two. the notched one rides on the fastener and the flat one sits between the fuel line and the fuel rail.

The small nipple in the lower left of the pic is the fuel return. That hose gets removed too leaving the nipple as shown.

It should be mentioned that there was very little pressure in the fuel lines when I removed them.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast