Thread: How do I tell how done my Steak/Meat Is??

How do I tell how done my Steak/Meat Is??

Easy, try this trick...

With your non writing hand open, touch the web between your thumb and forefinger...that's "Rare".

With your non writing hand, lightly close that hand, and touch the web between your thumb and forefinger, that's "Medium".

With your hand closed, fingers curled in, touch the web between your thumb and forefinger, that's "Well".

When camping cook all (Mods..sorry but this is the technical term here) "molested" meat well and all the way through, no exceptions.

**Molested meat being a ground meat, sliced/scored, or poked/injected to prevent salmonela/etc.

**For fish and chicken, well, in reality this thread should have been completely useless/redundant for most as you really outta invest in a meat thermometer and learn/know how to properly use one.

..and no, I'm not Alton Brown, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once.

Re: How do I tell how done my Steak/Meat Is??

uh never thought of these, thanks for pointing that out
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

i am very confused... it sounds easier to use a brookstone temperature thingy... or to actually just know when its ready? i like my steak rare so i use the beer timing method... i drink a brew, and by the time its halfway, i flip it, by the time its empty the steak is done...
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Is it bad to just cut it open and see how red the middle is?
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

What? Im confused..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Look I threw this info up because someone asked, that's all. Nothing more. Cook your food however you like.
    I appreciate the info, I just dont understand how your supposed to do what it says?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

For steaks, I do a combination of the "poke" method NorCal points out, with a final cut open like Fuster when they're ready to come off the grill to confirm internal done-ness. With some trial and error and operator skill, the poke method by itself does work well. Just don't push too hard, otherwise the steak will get squished flat in the middle and not be as juicy and delicious.

As for burgers, I just eyeball the things based on thickness and BBQ temp. Burgers are harder to screw up than a steak.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I cut like Fuster when I think they're ready, but while cooking I 'thump' the steak to see how hard the meat is getting. (Yes, I said that) As it cooks, it gets firmer and just keep doing this and checking the result at the end. You get used to it and know how well done it is. The only thing wrong with cutting and then continuing to grill is that the heat gets in through the cut and can give you the wrong idea of its 'doneness.'
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

and if you cut it open and throw it back on the grill it dries it out more... im actually going to have to try the poke method for when someone requests something more done than rare
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -