Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The sheer stupidity of closing Gitmo

The sheer stupidity of closing Gitmo

My liberal brother and sister in law proclaims, "Well, we need to restore our credibility in the world by closing Gitmo!" Or the ever popular "It's a recruiting tool for terrorists!" Or my favorite "Let's return to the rule of law!"

Someone didn't tell the terrorists that, so why should these b##ches have the same rights as a true combatant, or yes, an American citizen like you and me?

Good lord, no matter what we do, these terrorists will still recruit and attack us. When we release them, they just recycle back into the mix. Remember that scene in Saving Private Ryan where that weasly little p#ssy translator pleads for not killing the big German guy? Yeah, the same guy who kills the two guys in the upstairs attic? Yeah, that's what happens in the real world too:

WASHINGTON — Terrorism suspects who have been held but released from Guantánamo Bay are increasingly returning to the fight against the United States and its allies, the Pentagon said Tuesday.

Sixty-one detainees released from the U.S. Navy base prison in Cuba are believed to have rejoined the fight, said Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell, citing data from December. That's up from 37 as of March, he said.

The new figures come as President-elect Obama prepares to issue an executive order during his first week in office to close the controversial prison.

Source: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

So when Gitmo is officially closed, when we can no longer torture these bastards and find out what they're up to, we'll see how all this "new respect" and our "restored credibility" gets us. May I remind the supporters of closing down of Gitmo that when we didn't have Gitmo and didnt waterboard these bastards during the Clinton days, they blew up our embassies, bombed the USS Cole, etc. etc. So much for that line of thinking.

Re: The sheer stupidity of closing Gitmo

the man said "change", didnt say it was going to be good change lol

I am all for closing Gitmo, but take the garbage to the curb first. Go back to the old days and put them in CIA prisons, so they can be tortured and killed, out of the public eye.

last I heard, the detainees at Gitmo were not to be released. They are going to be transfered to ADX here in Florence Colorado, which is the only federal supermax prison in the United States. Also supposed to be the most secure prison anywhere in the states.

ADX also houses other terrorists: Ted Kaczynski, Eric Rudolf, Richard Ried, and then some.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    I am all for closing Gitmo, but take the garbage to the curb first. Go back to the old days and put them in CIA prisons, so they can be tortured and killed, out of the public eye.
    that's off the table too. they cannot be sent to places like eastern europe for interrogation.

ike, yes to what you wrote. the problem I have is that why do these b###s get the same rights as an american citizen? and to be tried under the same civilian laws? so the liberal thinking is that "oh, we treat them decently and the world will respect us more. and then the end result is that terrorist recruitment will drop, terrorist attacks will drop, etc., etc." so freakin' naive.

Whats the average cost per day, per prisoner, in a Fed jail. $80 bucks, our tax dollars hard at work.

Two points we should keep in mind:

1. As pointed out above they are not going to just open the doors to Gitmo and let everybody free, the detainees there will be moved to other facilities.

2. The majority of the detainees have never been tried and convicted of being terrorists or enemies of the US, most have never even had a day in any kind of court. They were all picked up based on a suspicion of their involvement, or because somebody else in their home country claimed they could have been involved, but there is little or no evidence in most cases. Some of the detainees are definitely terrorists who wish to harm the US and they must be prevented from doing so, no question there. But we need to keep in mind that some of the people there are innocent and we can't just treat them all as convicted terrorists.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

I won't argue about the peril of detention without due process, that is beyond the scope of this question.

I won't argue about the current detainees being back into terrorist circles either.

The question, to me, is this. When we play games, there are rules. Both sides obey the rules, so both sides are playing the game together/with eachother. It becomes a test of comparative skill. Right now, war or terrorism, or whatever this is, IS NOT A GAME! I see the point of some of the rules, but this is not for fun and both sides are not observing the same limits. To me, this is beyond rules, beyond what the common man should know/understand/be aware of.

There is a quote something like, "millions sleep peacefully at night because powerful men are prepared to do terrible things on their behalf." I respect and admire those men, I recognize their role and I believe some of the issues with this problem are mis-statement of the question.

On a side note, I do not like the two party system, voted for Obama and part of me is scared.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

a little side tracked but ill put in some first hand knowledge of how things work over there and why catering to complaints(aka not locking up people in gitmo) may be a bit helpful no matter how silly/false those complaints are.

there is nothing to live for over there. if your uncle is locked up by some foreign country, hating that country will be the most direction your life will ever have. also it is a culture that understand ak-47s are far more reliable then diplomacy. it is only the extreme potency of our military that allows us (Americans) to believe otherwise.

my personal opinion is make terrorism the most dangerous and least glamorous job option for these people. how to do that is a extremely complex. long term occupation is key and also the root of the problem at the same time. closing gitmo will probably do nothing good except change the terrorist top ten list of why to suicide bomb. sadly if someone was to glass that whole area of the world, id curse them for the innocent, and then thank them for allowing the world to move on towards unity.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    the man said "change", didnt say it was going to be good change lol
    Indeed.

Well, we reap what we sow now friends..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast