Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front lift, done, rear lift, done! (updated)

Front lift, done, rear lift, done! (updated)

Finally got around to lifting the sucker! Went pretty easy, only took a few hours.

Before:

During:

After!

Thanks to Steve Schaefer at Sonoran Steel for the front lift, it's top notch!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Re: Front lift, done, rear lift, soon!

awesome Oly! Do you plan on doing the rears with the sleeper shell on? How much lift is it?
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Quote Originally Posted by localmotion
    awesome Oly! Do you plan on doing the rears with the sleeper shell on? How much lift is it?
    Yeah, I'm just going to lift it with the camper on the truck. It's an over all lift of 2"

It's already made the truck handle much better with the camper on it, with the rear springs, it will be MUCH better.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Rear springs arrived, hopefully tonight I can put them on!

Looks awesome!
    1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

Done and done, will post pics when I'm not completely drained, sore, dirty, and all those other fun things you are after working on the rig!

Let's just say that she's solid and Alcan Springs and Sonoran Steel will get my business any day!

The work starts:

The level of the rear with the old springs and air bags at 80 psi (100 psi is the max)

The truck felt fairly top heavy when going around corners, the rear suspension was simply too soft even with the air bags almost at the maximum.

This is a fun one:

That is the rear springs with the air bags deflated, talk about a bit of sag....

New springs courtesy of Alcan Springs, 250 lbs/inch rate, 3" lift with no weight in the bed:

Old vs. new:

And now's the fun part, the new springs with the new air bags not even inflated:

So now I pump the air bags up to 20-40 PSI, and have the ability to pump them up even more when I get more load.

Initial impressions are simply amazing, the truck now feels like it was meant to with the camper on it. Goes around corners wonderfully, no massive/uncomfortable body roll, suspension is far from being too stiff/too soft. It is just right!

Again, thanks to Steve @ Sonoran Steel, and Charles @ Alcan Spring for the products and help!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Kids, this is what happens when you overload your overload spring leaf!

Way beyond time for a new and better set!
    [img width=800 height=531]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/oly884/DSC_32461600x1200.jpg[/img]
    Dude, you have no idea how glad I am to have those things off....

That over load was from my move back from Montana. I had to get a few "toys" (eg. guns and ammo) back to seattle as I did not want them sitting in a storage unit. Well, combine all my guns and ammo, along with my camper, and I have A LOT of weight, haha!

Will post some pictures of the entire truck when I get them!

Re: Front lift, done, rear lift, done! (updated)

Very Nice!!!

That overload spring is classic.
    My signature

Re: Front lift, done, rear lift, done! (updated)

Looks awesome! Those new springs should help just a little huh?
    1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast