Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: building a upgraded headlight wiring harness for a 3rd gen runner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

building a upgraded headlight wiring harness for a 3rd gen runner

gonna put together something today and will keep this post updated like a how-to. with the pictures ill show why this i needed to do this rather then just an option aka my stock wiring was butchered by the previous owner

edit. project on hold. one thing though, if you one stop shop for supply's you may be in for a surprise with your material costs. autozone was kind enough to sell me 30 amp relays for 13 dollars a piece

Re: building a upgraded headlight wiring harness for a 3rd gen runner

Well, if I ever decided to upgrade my headlights' wiring, I think I would probably look at buying this:

Painless Performance H4 Headlight Conversion Harness

The conversion harness supports up to 150 watts per bulb, and has all of the relays and wiring figured out for you.

I've grown to love Painless Wiring products over the years, they make stuff just so damn painless! I've wired all of my extra "stuff" through my Cirkit Boss auxillary fuse block and man, that thing was a lifesaver when I needed an easy way to get ignition-hot power sources.
    Last edited by mastacox; 04-17-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

dang the price it very high though. its very nice but the circuit is so simple to make. i looked for 4crawlers kit but when you press the buy button, it dosnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    dang the price it very high though. its very nice but the circuit is so simple to make. i looked for 4crawlers kit but when you press the buy button, it doesn't work.
    Just email him. He's around.

Also, go to http://www.allelectronics.com/ for the relays. They have them for 2.40 each.

I just ordered 4 for a project, plus a couple extra.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

well i finaly got around to making one and didnt have the time to make a how to or document the steps. i did however make a perfect example of a high side switched harness that is worthless for my 96 4runner lol. i can modify it to work and it will be fine, but what a pain. i swear i read 3rd gen were power switched, but maybe its just 99 and above, i really have no idea other then my 96 is definatly low side switched (ground switched)
    heres a pic for an example of what not to build lol:

Yup, headlights are ground-side switched, I've run into that problem trying to figure out how to hook my Hella's into the hi-beams.

What gauge wire are you using, and what's the total cost?
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    Yup, headlights are ground-side switched, I've run into that problem trying to figure out how to hook my Hella's into the hi-beams.

What gauge wire are you using, and what's the total cost?
    14 guage wiring. i soldered some of the conections but then crimped some, so that kinda negated any benifits i was hoping for lol. the total coast is not good. im up around 55ish since i did terribel sourcing things at autozone and pepboys. ive got $22 in the relays alone and now ive got to buy another relay with 5 prongs. im still ahead on money and have some extra supplys left over that will be usefull but if i had shopped around id say this could be made around 25 bucks

now this is getting embarising. i bought the wrong relay again. i keep assuming i know the one to get and then end up reading after it dosnt work and finding out its the other one. i will make a write up so that all the dummy mistakes are printed in bold for people like me lol

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    now this is getting embarrassing. i bought the wrong relay again. i keep assuming i know the one to get and then end up reading after it doesn't work and finding out its the other one. i will make a write up so that all the dummy mistakes are printed in bold for people like me lol
    Which relays did you buy? SPST or SPDT? Also, don't forget that most new relays have diode that reverses the poles on the activation side. This kept causing my fuse to blow when I was attaching my backup lights to my rig. When thru three fuses before I figured it out

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast