Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: building a upgraded headlight wiring harness for a 3rd gen runner

Re: building a upgraded headlight wiring harness for a 3rd gen runner

i bought a spst when the drawing called for a spdt. i have no idea why there is a need for a 5 pined relay that the drawing shows other then for conveince maybe. tonight im going to rig up my origanl relay and it should work fine.

there is a diode in there on the coil side? i think i am using the correct polarity on the coils but i wouldnt have thought there was a diode in there to complicate things. i cant believe im not done yet.... such a simple thing!

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    i bought a spst when the drawing called for a spdt. i have no idea why there is a need for a 5 pined relay that the drawing shows other then for convenience maybe. tonight I'm going to rig up my original relay and it should work fine.

there is a diode in there on the coil side? i think i am using the correct polarity on the coils but i wouldn't have thought there was a diode in there to complicate things. i cant believe I'm not done yet.... such a simple thing!
    Correct, there is typically a diode on the coil side. I can't access my photobucket account at work, but I have a pic of my relay, showing the diode in the schematic on the side.

How's this for lame. I have a relay with 5 pins, but it's only a SPST. LOL, I thought it was defective at first, only to find they wasted money on a 5th pin for no reason!

Hang in there, you'll get it done eventually. Then post pics for everyone else, hehehe.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

ok i apologise on the lack of a real write up here but i made a diagram based on 4crawlers design and using his recommended diodes and resister shown here
    http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...OnLineOrdering
    here is my exact wiring. the drawing is literal, meaning if a wire t's into another one, then there is a physically soldered junction there. ill update this post if i have any issues with the few changes i made to 4crawlers design.

my tips for anyone doing this:
    buy your parts online and save lots of money
    make sure your getting the right relays...
    measure twice, cut once
    look at the drawing twice, crimp/solder once

oh and my old headlight plugs were crimped in using extremely thin (think fuse) wire. thats why i had to do this before they melted

Can I buy the original one..? maybe itll work on my 99 taco
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

i just modified the first one i made. its not pretty but it works well. my headlights are a little brighter now, but the main point was to fix the ghetto rigging's from the previous owner. ill give you a hand if you ever want to make one of these.

Have you thought about the big 3 upgrade ??
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

my understanding is there is really limited benefits of that if any. this is a truck that is still undergoing fixes. big three is something you do if you just want to work on your truck and theres nothing else to do lol

Lol, I didnt know you had fixes to do..Whats going on with er ?

about a year later and i had to replace the 25 amp fuse. it had actualy melted. i think its because im using the cheapest cheapo fuses. but anyhow i put a 30 amp on in there. that seems a bit high to me but if things short it will pop fast enough

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12