Thread: need ideas for camera placment

need ideas for camera placment

i got a suction cup mount for my video camera with the intentions of filming alot of the wheeling i do. ive never seen any pro off roading videos and im wondering what the best place to put the camera is so that obsticals look as difficult as they do in real life. so far alot of my pictures and videos have made things look too small and simple, i thought the suction cup mount would be the only way to give a real idea of the terrain. this test video i made shows a few locations i could think of. what have you guys seen done in the pro videos?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cbhx...eature=channel

Re: need ideas for camera placment

Unless you mount the thing underneath the vehicle you will not be able to catch the 'hardcoredness' of the trail. All camera mounts I have seen are hardmounts. Some on the dash but most on a roll cage. How big is the camera? Will the mount/suction cups be able to support the camera while wheeling?

I would think that if it were back further inside the cabin that it would give a better perspective (the edges of the image would show the headliner/a-pillar/hood). Maybe have a pucker gauge on the dash too.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Unless you mount the thing underneath the vehicle you will not be able to catch the 'hardcoredness' of the trail. All camera mounts I have seen are hardmounts. Some on the dash but most on a roll cage. How big is the camera? Will the mount/suction cups be able to support the camera while wheeling?
    under the truck is going to be tricky but i bet i can rig something up. your right that would be a cool angle. the camera is smaller then an iphone so the suction cup ive got is overated for the little thing. ill tether it when im in the rocks though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    I would think that if it were back further inside the cabin that it would give a better perspective (the edges of the image would show the headliner/a-pillar/hood). Maybe have a pucker gauge on the dash too.
    cool ill have to try that. i can mount it on the sunroof inside the truck and should get that all in the view

That's pretty sweet. From the different angles you had, I liked the dash one the best. I think being able to see the horizon move in relation to the hood made the angles more apparent. A camera mounted farther back would be nice too, since it would capture the driver and/or passenger bouncing around in the seats.

A camera mounted near the transmission cross member would give a great shot of the front suspension moving over rocks, but I'd be worried about rocks hitting the camera. Would make for some sweet shots though.

I miss socal.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I liked the one on the side.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Most rally in car cameras are like this along with desert trucks. It's great for the high speed stuff.

I kind of like the side one as well. I'd be worried about a suction cup letting go and busting your mino.

Check out Phalanx's vid, I think his is a clamp type mount and pretty sturdy
    Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx

More to come...
    My signature

Maybe something like this
    http://www.rei.com/product/777251?cm...:referralID=NA

pull up the passenger headrest a little and clamp it to the headrest bar.

I have a Gorillapod that I test fit to my passenger headrest. I haven't got to try it yet though. It seemed pretty sturdy the way I had it wrapped around and supported. I'll have to snap April's Mino and test it out at Pismo.

It rocks for taking camping and using as a tripod for my camera. I think the one I have is the one that should support a DSLR.
    My signature

thats a sweet mount. but i was thinking on the cheap as always lol. 1/4 20 bolt in a peice of wood with some duct tape haha. the mino is the only thing that could get away with that they are so light!

thanks all for the ideas. i hope to document some great UY outings!