Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Energy Steering Rack Bushing Kit Tools

Re: Energy Steering Rack Bushing Kit Tools

I went out and took the boot off the inner tie rod end to make 100% sure that was the problem......and it wasn't. It looks like the bushings inside the steering rack are worn causing it to move up and down when the driver's side wheel is moved. So now I'm on the hunt for a reasonably priced remanned rack or maybe even a used rack with low miles. I won't have the truck forever so I'm not spending $1500+ on a new rack from the dealer.

I did verify with those that need to do an inner tie rod that the correct wrench you need is a 42mm crows foot or crescent wrench. Now that size is quite hard to find so most people seem to opt for a 1 5/8" wrench which is just a hair small but in practice probably works fine.

I also checked part numbers with Toyota of Dallas and here's what you'd need for a 4WD, 3.4L, 4runner:
    • 45503-39075 - Inner Tie Rod
    • 90460-62006 - Inner Boot Clamp
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Marc, click on my signature..........I wish it were that simple.

With the boot off I could clearly see the rack moving up and down inside the housing, unfortunately it&#39;s toast.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Oh I see, sorry Jamie.

I would try and source a used rack then since it will be much cheaper
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Oh I see, sorry Jamie.

I would try and source a used rack then since it will be much cheaper
    I think you&#39;re right, that may be the cheapest route to go. Failing in that there is a place on eBay, Garo Rack & Pinion Inc out of Florida (100% positive feedback) that will ship a remanned rack to Canada for around $400. I&#39;ll see what aftermarket remanned racks are going for at places like Napa, Carquest, etc. I suspect I won&#39;t get anywhere near $400 though.

Anyone had any experience with that place Garo Rack & Pinion?
    Here&#39;s their ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/GARO-STEERING...formation.html

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner

I did verify with those that need to do an inner tie rod that the correct wrench you need is a 42mm crows foot or crescent wrench. Now that size is quite hard to find so most people seem to opt for a 1 5/8" wrench which is just a hair small but in practice probably works fine.
    you are right- a 1 5/8" open-ended wrench (which is a MONSTER, by the way) is what i used (it was tight, but i just tapped it onto the tie rod end with a mallet)- borrowed from the heavy-vehicle mechanic at work. worked well- only downside was i couldn't torque it to spec, just tight (but there are other fail-safe measures in place to keep it from backing off)

sorry to hear about the rack! i think i saved mine in time with the new poly bushings.
    another brand for reman'd racks i've come across is Maval. they're going for $323 after core charge on partstrain.com

if you need an american shipping address, you know where to find me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

-scott
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Thank you to Scott and others who have offered their addresses for shipping parts, it is most appreciated. I did a little digging today and found a local place that appeared to have 7 steering racks of various mileage which would be a fit for my truck and they quoted my $150 each taxes in. The lowest mileage one was around 85k miles which isn't too bad considering the age of the vehicle. My only concern is how long it might last since they often leave the trucks in the yard with the rack attached so it's hard to inspect them all at once to pick the best one.

Navigator

pay the $150 for the used one, order the poly bushings and install them at the same time... then as long as the used rack isnt toast, the bushings should keep it from getting worse... and all for less than $200
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    pay the $150 for the used one, order the poly bushings and install them at the same time... then as long as the used rack isnt toast, the bushings should keep it from getting worse... and all for less than $200
    I already have the poly bushings installed in my old rack so it's just a matter of swapping them over.

The used rack does come with a 90 day warranty, I just don't want to have to do the job twice since it's starting to get a bit chilly outside.

In case anyone is looking at going strictly OEM, the correct P/N's from Toyota are:

44250-35042 rack assy, NEW (complete rack minus outer tie rods)
    44200-35042-84 rack assy (Toyota Remanufactured) rack with $150 core charge
    45046-39335 RH, tie rod assy
    45047-39215 LH, tie rod assy

I finally ordered a rebuilt steering rack from Garo Rack & Pinion in Florida. They had great feedback from others and they have a 2 year warranty their parts so I decided to give them a try. I looked at used steering racks but with winter in full bore up here now, I don't really want to go hunting out in the junkyard for one that's still in good shape.

Anyway, I bought a rebuilt long rack (everything including the inner tie rods for $289 USD, no core charge) and then bought the outer tie rods from them as well ($40 USD a pair) so all the steering parts will be brand spanking new or rebuilt to OEM specs. Shipping was free in the US but it cost me around $55 USD to get it to Canada via USPS. I'll post some pics when I finally get it all installed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast