Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Energy Steering Rack Bushing Kit Tools

Energy Steering Rack Bushing Kit Tools

Any special tools I need for replacing the bushings on the rack? ie: huge socket... i got the important out of the way- PB blaster now until the event takes place on saturday. I'll be changing out the bushings the same time I replace the driver's side inner tie rod end. I've got a pitman arm puller, hope that'll work. looks like it should. don't want to use a pickle fork in fear of damaging the outer tie rod end (not getting replaced at the moment). last minute tips going into the weekend for a first timer on the steering business. I think me being on the ball about the PB is a good omen in and of itself!
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Re: Energy Steering Rack Bushing Kit Tools

22mm 6 point deep socket. The middle bolt will require that. Maybe also a 24 mm socket. Not positive on that one.

Grease up the new bushings to make it easier to go in.

If you need specific help the day of give me a call (I'll pm you my number)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

thanks! i think i may have that 22mm already.... thought i needed it for something...
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

sorry, last post was from my iphone. heres more info:

other than that, just need to disconnect the driver tierod end. the rack is very heavy (alot heavier than i thought).

i had some corrosion on the driverside bolt. if you have a diff drop, remove the driver side spacer for the diff and jack up the diff to get that bolt out. i had to clean it up on the wire wheel to get the new washer on it. other than that, i had no rust, but the bolts still required lots of force to loosen. i can send you the torque specs for the rack if you need them. i remember them being in the 140 lb range.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

sounds like it should be simple! haha...nothing will go wrong.
    i'll be taking off the outer and inner tie rod ends on the driver's side anyway, so that's a plus. what's the reason to disconnect the "driver's" side? just for play in the rack assembly?

i'll be doing this saturday night until i'm done (have until monday pm) so i'll give you a call if i run into any bumps. i saw those torque specs and picked up a torque wrench from autozone with their loaner program. don't have one of my own quite yet...
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Got the Kit in today. took a little extra time as i wasn't quite ready...forgot about the necessary wrenches to separate the inner from the outer tie rods. after the tie rod was off, it was just a matter of finding the bolt heads and loosening them for the first time in 13 years. PB blaster was probably my best investment in the project. broke all the bolts free, tore out the old rubber bushings with my needlenose, and pounded out the remnants. the wheeler's kit looked 10x better... hope that's how it turns out tomorrow.
    install was a different story. i had problems getting the driver's side bushings/sleeve seated all the way. eventually just worked the bushings in place, after a lot of questioning my life and swearing. as for the sleeve, it would NOT go. just too tight, so i used the trusty press (aka stock bottle jack) wedged between a crossmember and the sleeve. VOILA! beautifully executed, done just in time for the game.

if i could recommend ANYTHING to a future bushing kit installer, get the middle mount bolted up first. the kit's instructions says the middle bolt will be lined up after you install the other two mounts, but it wasn't true for me! i'm guessing that the TIGHT fit is a GOOD thing
    off to finish up the project (install new inner tie rod end with outer) so i can get an alignment and test drive the truck tomorrow. thanks for all the help and pointers.

tools needed for job (tie rod replacement and bushing kit):
    22mm deep socket
    19mm deep and shallow sockets
    1 5/8" open ended wrench for tie rod end (huge wrench! borrowed from mechanic at work)
    2 crescent wrenches (separating outer tie rod end from retaining nut)
    8mm or 9mm socket
    pitman arm puller (worked like a charm!)
    torque wrench
    18" breaker bar
    brass drift/hammer

1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Any update if the tie rod was the issue after you replaced it?

I'm looking at possibly needing an inner tie rod end to pass inspection, but I don't want to go through the trouble if it ends up I need a new rack (hopefully not, major PITA to get a remanned one up here).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

PM'd- the short answer, yes it solved my failed-inspection problem. no new rack necessary.

if you needed an american shipping address for anything, just give me a holler. the wife and i will be going north next week to adventure the big city... first time in Montreal.
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

wow- the cost of a reman'ed rack is the cost of 2 inner tie rod ends from the local dealer! i could just be worth it... they look so clean and pretty, too!
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Thanks again for the update. I called the dealer up here and can you believe they wanted $271 for (1) one inner tie rod!!! Even the aftermarket ones were $150+ each. What a racket that is. Looks like I'll need to get my replacement from the states.

On a side note, you'll love Montreal. It's as close to Europe as you can get without leaving North America. Great city with plenty to do and see for everyone. If you don't mind the language barrier, Quebec City (2 hrs North of Montreal) is also a great place to visit.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast