Thread: Help...Timing Belt and Brakes

Help...Timing Belt and Brakes

97 4runner,limited,auto,V6- I bought it with 82k and have 163k. I have not had any issues with the timing and have not replaced the brakes yet.

I understand problems might be lurking with the timing belt wearing out. Anybody had this issue yet?

When I need to replace the brakes is it worth doing the upgrade to the tundra package?
    &quot;There are 3 kinds of people: Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen and those who wonder what the hell just happened.&quot;<br /><br />&quot;Just cause you are there to lay the pipe doesnt mean you have to be there to open the valve.&quot;<br /><br />&#039;97 4Runner,Limited,V6

Re: Help...Timing Belt and Brakes

you should replace your timing belt, although the 5v6-fe is a non interference (the pistons and valves wont touch eachother if they get out of sync), it would still suck to have it break on you when you least expect it. if you are a moderately experienced home mechanic, you should be able to do the job yourself. when you do, of course replace the water pump at that time too, its alot of tear down and not much extra cost to know it will last another 100k miles. i dont think i have seen a "my timing belt broke while i was driving" thread in my time with toyotas, but then again, i never want to see one.

the tundra brake upgrade was worth every penny. i needed new rotors anyway, and my pads weren't too far from being scrap either. the cost for the pads and new rotors i justified as maintenance costs. the price of the calipers was an "upgrade" and in my opinion a very much needed one. i have had a couple of 70 - 0 panic stops and each time i thanked myself for upgrading. as for rear shoes, check them and see if they need replacing or adjusting.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

When Im had my 97, I replaced the T-belt and water pump at 90k. When I removed the old belt I could see no discernable wear or damage to it. I think the 90k service was established conservatively to allow for procrastinators. If your T-belt has never been changed and you have 160,000 mi, then you are at nearly twice the recommended mileage. I think it's time. If you did it at 90k +/-, given my experience examining my T-belt, you have time.

IMO a brake upgrade is only worth it if you intend to slow or stop your vehicle very much. Hehe.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    you should replace your timing belt, although the 5v6-fe is a non interference (the pistons and valves wont touch eachother if they get out of sync), it would still suck to have it break on you when you least expect it. if you are a moderately experienced home mechanic, you should be able to do the job yourself. when you do, of course replace the water pump at that time too, its alot of tear down and not much extra cost to know it will last another 100k miles. i dont think i have seen a "my timing belt broke while i was driving" thread in my time with toyotas, but then again, i never want to see one.

the tundra brake upgrade was worth every penny. i needed new rotors anyway, and my pads weren't too far from being scrap either. the cost for the pads and new rotors i justified as maintenance costs. the price of the calipers was an "upgrade" and in my opinion a very much needed one. i have had a couple of 70 - 0 panic stops and each time i thanked myself for upgrading. as for rear shoes, check them and see if they need replacing or adjusting.
    x2 on everything above, very good advice.

Make sure you put in a new water pump when you do the timing belt, find my engine thread and you'll see why.

Tundra brake upgrade is one of the best you can do for these trucks. Stock version was sadly undersized for even daily use (not just towing)....you will see the difference if only for saying goodbye to warped rotors forever.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i dont think i have seen a "my timing belt broke while i was driving" thread in my time with toyotas, but then again, i never want to see one.
    Welcome to that thread. I had my timing belt break while I was on the freeway this morning doing 70mph. 2000 4Runner with 5vz-fe and 97,000 miles. It has been on my list of things to do, but I thought I had a little time still. Apparently not. There is not any immediately apparent damage - no CEL or catastrophic breakage. I will find out more this weekend when I dive in to replace it.
    - Brad<br />2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 5spd<br />3&quot; Revtek spacer, ARB RD-90 front | 3.5&quot; Downey coils, E-locker rear | 315/75 16 BFG M/T | TJM T-17 | RB Sliderz | 1.5&quot; RB BL | BudBuilt skid | 4.30s | SS Rear Bumper<br />onetruth

Funny......well, not funny.....interesting, I just replaced the timing belt on my Tundra. It was @ 185000. The PO had changed the original belt at 95,000; or at least that's what he claimed. While reading that the 4.7 2ufz motor is an interference config and that those which suffered a broken T-belt were forever ruined, I panicked. What if the PO were lying and the original T-belt had 185,000 mi on it????? D'oh! So I bought the parts an changed it the next week.

After removing the first timing cover, I could see that the belt was a NAPA brand. Knowing Toyota would not use NAPA parts, I was relieved though I was already committed to the procedure by then. With pneumatic tools, a reference and a little time, it's not a difficult task.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM