Thread: Vertical Flags

Vertical Flags

Today I was hangin out in a friend's apartment and something kept catching my eye. I finally realized what was bothering me was that his Texas flag, hanging vertically, was backwards. Just like the US flag, you have to keep the upper-left corner in the upper-left always, which involves a flip (front-back) as well as a 90 degree rotation. My other friend was talking about how ridiculous that is and that all 49 other states simply have a 90-degree rotation. Without any proof, I didn't correct him too much but went back to google it. All I could find was the MD state flag website, saying that you flip and rotate, just like the US flag. Do all 50 states have a flip/rotate configuration for hanging vertically? I somehow feel like they do... yet it wouldn't surprise me if it varies by state
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Re: Vertical Flags

nah id just tell him hes got it wrong. if someone is displaying a flag they most likly want to do it right. if they dont want to change it, then you can say what you want or just call them a douche bag lol
    ive served and i dont get offended. people always screw up the US flag. but for the most part they have it right in there hearts... other then the underwear bastards lol

Isn't it an international sign of distress to hang a country's flag upside-down, especially for sea going vessels?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Thanks for all the informative replies guys! Specifically though, I was wondering if ALL state flags are hung vertically in the same manner (flip/rotate) as the US flag? Does that vary by state or do all 50 of them operate the same way?

Oh and to add another question...I know that hanging a flag upside down (while horizontal) is a sign of distress, but what about vertical? If you hung the US flag vertically as normal, so the stars are in the upper left, but flipped it so the stars are in the upper right, is that considered "upside down" for distress purposes? I think not but I want to be sure...
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

On the topic of flags hung wrong. I've always wondered about this. The symbol for the "American Records", record label. An American flag rotated 180 degrees. I've always wondered does that mean something, or is it disrespectful?

Here it is. Didnt know how to make it smaller.

Hope this isnt too much of a hijak.

&#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Mine is upsidedown...

Yes we are in distress..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

For inverted flags:

THE FLAG CODE
    Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
    As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
    Approved July 7, 1976

ยง 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    As for the the flag being hung vertically... (here's what I found)

The rule is that when a flag is hung vertically the honour point (i.e., the top-left hand corner) should still be at the top-left. This means that most flags rotate 90 degrees and are then turned over. For example, the US flag has to be reversed to keep the canton in the top-left. The union flag just rotates, so as to keep the thick white stripe uppermost in the top-left corner. This all stems from heraldic practice, and basically mean creating new flags for many countries. More difficult are the aspect ratios - I modify the aspect ratios to 2:3 so that when hung in groups the flags are all the same height (I tried varying the widths but that looked daft, and having different lengths just doesn't work vertically).
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001