Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accessory Rewire Help Needed!

Re: Accessory Rewire Help Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I think you'd be money ahead getting one of Chris' panels. It's all push button, small and modern looking.

As for the extra wiring for your rocklights. What does the plug look like. It might only have 2 wires going through it. Cut to fit, solder, shrink wrap and call it done. It probably voids the warranty but so would damage caused by the thing getting pulled into your fan from too long of wires.
    There should just be two wires in there, because when I asked about adding more lights to the system, he said the extra lights just have a red and black wire and you just splice them into one of the wires, so I'm guessing that you will find a red and black wire if you open it up. Like you said it would probably void the warranty. I've got one year and then I'll test out my solder skills. Mine are well away from the fan.

Not sure what you will find in the wire going from the D block to the Mastercontrol box though.
    My signature

wow, i am so screwed on learning how to wire properly... that m series looks too intense for me, plus im not sure that plug would fit behind my dash anywhere easily.
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

yeah mine are behind the engine on the firewall... well atleast thats where they were mocked up before i fried something... when i get them back ill just hardwire it all in when i start my rewire project (has to wait till i get these lights back now)
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerUp
    wow, i am so screwed on learning how to wire properly... that m series looks too intense for me, plus im not sure that plug would fit behind my dash anywhere easily.
    haha, yeah, I haven't test fit/measured to see if I have the room behind the dash (I'm waiting to see some measurements on 4xinnovations internal cage to see how far over I need to install it, as I want to get that cage sometime). Actually, the way the military harnesses are it is way easier than it looks. Each wire has a metal id tag crimped on it at both ends and any splices/connectors. The wire has the circuit number on it which is pretty much universal through all their vehicles. Remember these things are worked on by mostly kids right out of high school. I was able to wire up my m416 trailer from like a 15 pin connector to a regular 4flat connector easily and got it all right on the first attempt and I'm an electrical dummy.
    My signature

speaking of adventure trailers... i need one of those too

i really need to get this wiring mess fixed... anyone ever removed an aftermarket alarm? is it as easy as it seems?

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerUp
    speaking of adventure trailers... i need one of those too

i really need to get this wiring mess fixed... anyone ever removed an aftermarket alarm? is it as easy as it seems?
    As noted in my above response to wiring mess. I had an alarm installed in my Chevy (a viper alarm). It was under the steering column and dash. I pulled it down from it's home and followed the wires. All were different colors and they went everywhere, my saving grace was that they came out of a box that was full of labels. I basically removed the wires from the factory wires after taping and labeling all of them. Half way through this I could see where the connections needed to be. The alarm basically interupped the wire path in a bunch of different places. The box made sense of the interupptions and made things work as they should when they needed to work. I reconnected all the factory wires they cut to splice in the box and she turned right over.

In my case the box went bad after 5 years or so. I had a new alarm installed by the same place and asked that they hide things a bit better and had them relocate some stuff. My family has sent all there cars to this one shop so he went all out. He opened up the box and added a bunch of extra wires (comming out of the box) that appeared to be spliced into other wiring harnesses. They weren't connected, just shrink wrapped to look like connections. I would hate to take that one out. It looked really intimidating.

I have this in my truck, just the reg old 6 panel fuse block. I bought it from napa but its the same thing as here: http://www.delcity.net/store/6!Way-ATC:ATO-Fuse-Panel/p_793543.a_1

I have it wired like so: + comes from + battery to a 30amp circuit breaker, I then have it run from that breaker to the fuse panel connection and fuse it there too with an appropriate amp fuse. The panel is mounted to the firewall.

Then I run anything I want to it. My fog lights are wired to go into the cab thru a grommet in the firewall (actually where the harness comes in. i poked a hole and ran my wires in) then to my switch, and right back out again and I grounded it to the body inside the truck. I then took a nice dab of grey RTV (it holds up the best) and sealed the hole I poked.

I dont believe in using relays having wired more than a few things in my day and it only complicates everything imho with more wires. Also every one of my installs has worked flawless without them since they are fused period and I run quite a heavy gauge of wire. Most stock wiring for lights and such is maybe 18ga, I run 12 everywhere.

Anyways it runs right back out to the device and bingo im done. I have2 sets of lights wired like this and no issues. at all. Switches are rated to 20amps iirc too.

FWIW make a harness yourself, its very simple really if you have some wire. I bought liek 200 feet of both black and red at pepboys in 12ga which is about the size for most things. Get a good crimper and some solderless connections and tape and have at it. FWIW I tape all connections after crimp and loom everything.

So far in wiring everything including 4 of our work trucks that use lights, HD compressors, a strobe kit, VHF radios, and other junk nothing has ever failed. Like I said no relays, no special anything but good old fashioned connections and fuses. The inline fuse will protect you from an overload, anything goes and the fuse will blow before you fry stuff. My boss is an old school mechanic and taught me how to wire, nothing he has ever done has had an issue at all. Main key is isolating everything from the battery and rest of the system and NOT tapping other wiring, the acc or ign wires, etc. Do that and enjoy the possibility of a problem.

Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

alright guys, need a QUICK answer to a question, how big of an isolator do i need? 100amp, 120amp, 140amp or 200amp?

i have an odyessy deep starting battery up front, a blue top in the back and an MR2 spyder alternator rated at upwards of 130amps. let me know as soon as possible please!!

so would 200amps be overkill? would it be better?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast