Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tips for buying a vehicle that doesn't run

tips for buying a vehicle that doesn't run

so im looking at starting a new project vehicle, you will hear all about it when i get it. in the mean time i hope you could help me with some buying advise.

now ive only purchased running vehicles in my life, so i knew what to look for there. but what about vehicles that dont run? most of the project vehicles im looking at dont have a working battery/starter, bad fuel injection parts, etc. what should i look for in these cars to help me from getting a bad vehicle? i know i am going to have to put some money into the vehicle, but i would like to not buy one with an serious problem unknown to me.

so id like some input in these specific areas:

brakes
    clutch
    transmission (4spd manual)
    engine (do i turn the fan to see if its seized?)

i obviously know about checking for common rust spots, etc. i plan on doing the bare minimum to get the vehicle road worthy and then slowly redoing systems like the brakes, fuel injection (or carbs), wiring, etc.

so what are your experiences buying a non operational vehicle? id like to keep this general enough for anyone buying any model vehicle. id also like to avoid being a "tire kicker".
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: tips for buying a vehicle that doesn't run

I'd probably look for leaks anywhere I could, check fluids in whatever was practical (like the engine oil, tranny fluid, etc.), feel if the clutch works, feel if the brake pedal has feel, inspect driveline components, and so on.

If the engine is shady, as in you're not 100% sure it can be fixed, I would budget for the price of a running used engine, and then if you end up being able to fix the engine it came with so much the better. In my experience, old cars that don't run (and especially ones that haven't run in a while) can go one of two ways; either you'll be able to spend $100 on it and it will drive, or you'll basically have to replace everything on it
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Don't turn the fan, its probably clutch driven. Do a compression check, to see if your cyl's/ valves are in good shape. If there is a question about bad compression (wether its the valves or cylinder, do an oil check to eliminate the cylinders). Check for a manual (FSM or the like) in the truck, look at the greasy pages to find out what has been worked on.

Are you buying a beater? If it's a big old ugly car I'm going to be jealous.

I guess my only advice would be bring a trailer with a winch.

Without knowing what type of vehicle it's kind of hard to help. Do you know why it doesn't run? Does the PO know anything about it? What year is it?

I have no personal experience but things can be tough in CA. Does it need to be smogged? Does it have non-op tags? When was the last year it was registered? I have heard stories of people who buy cars and find out there is a bunch of back DMV bills, etc.

I thought you didn't have monies and were busy with school. Buying another project?

got a small infusion of cash to buy a new commuter. unfortunatly it was REALLY small. and its not a big old ugly car, its a small, cute, old car. hahaha.

car im buying is pre 75 so no smog. previous owner says "a problem with the fuel injection" its mechanical so... worst i do is swap to carbs. as for DMV fees, PO is looking into that but i believe its current or only 1 year of delinquency. im going to look at it friday. if i like it and it ends up being a reasonable price, ill drag it home and post up about it on here.

as for the ANOTHER PROJECT?! part, yeah, another project. ive been working my ass off, and while i love my 4runner, i kinda need something else to concentrate on for the time being. i need a DD (the 4runner is killing me on gas and such) and id like something i can keep running with bailing wire, duct tape and RTV.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i need a DD (the 4runner is killing me on gas and such) and id like something i can keep running with bailing wire, duct tape and RTV.
    Yes ! Duct tape, RTV and bailing wire.

Have the owner sit behind the wheel with you in the passenger seat. Have him make vroom vroom sounds to approximate how it sounded when it was running. Listen for any miss at idle or knocking sounds. Coughing and wheezing are bad too.

hth
    Brian

I wouldnt buy a non running car honestly. If you must, check for obvious signs of leaks and such.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Ok ! Out with it! What are you buying ? If its 75 or earlier, I am interested.

lets just say ill have the better part of the axis powers sitting my driveway soon...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast