Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: tips for buying a vehicle that doesn't run

Re: tips for buying a vehicle that doesn't run

Ok its a cheap piece of crap, cause the better part of axis powers would be american. It sounds like a gem to me. Just post it up in the section "Not Toyota, Please Help" !

Really, don't be ashamed, I post up non Toy stuff all the time.

it's a bug isn't it? wait, you said EFI. I'm getting sucked in, what is it???
    Brian

Axis powers were Germany, Italy, Japan...with efi means German if the vehicle is old... So you must have gotten a Porsche...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

back on topic...

any other tips from people who have purchased non running vehicles?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck
    Axis powers were Germany, Italy, Japan...with efi means German if the vehicle is old... So you must have gotten a Porsche...
    LOL!
    If he got a Porsche then my VW in the drive way is a Lambo

Quote Originally Posted by tulsa_sr5
    Have the owner sit behind the wheel with you in the passenger seat. Have him make vroom vroom sounds to approximate how it sounded when it was running. Listen for any miss at idle or knocking sounds. Coughing and wheezing are bad too.

hth
    Best idea so far!!!!

I guess the best will be to get as much info about the vehicle as possible. Receipts, etc... can tell a lot about it.
    My signature

Look for all the things you would normally look for, but you have the huge disadvantage of not being able to test drive the car. You won't be able to tell by looking at the car if the clutch slips, brakes are weak/warped/pulls to one side, the suspension bushings could be shot, steering parts worn, etc. These things are difficult to reveal without the drive.

If you want a project, fair enough. If you're going to green sticker it with no insurance, now you're starting to get me excited. If you're trying to save money, I can't imagine how you would save anything at all here. Even the weakest 4 cylinder cars from the pre-74 era are not very fuel efficient. My guess is you'll spend FAR more on additional insurance, registration and REPAIRS that you will ever save in fuel.

The fact of the matter is you will still drive your 4Runner more than you think, and you need to figure that into your math when you calculate fuel savings.

Can't wait to see this project get started!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    ...id like something i can keep running with bailing wire, duct tape and RTV.
    At one point or another, I've kept my 4Runner running with duct tape, RTV, and a stick. Never tried bailing wire though.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

oh i am fully aware this thing will be a money pit, i just want something that is easy to drive around town, get me from point a to b, and isnt a corolla (nothing wrong with them, i actually love them, i just want something different than an econobox)

i will still drive my 4runner alot. that fact is the only reason im allowing myself to buy another vehicle. if i thought id never drive the 4runner again, id be dropping this money into a rear bumper or something!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

For a devoted wheeler, a second vehicle is a must. It lets you do major rehabs, mods and changes to your Runner, and still get to work, or parts run..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast