Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: tips for buying a vehicle that doesn't run

Re: tips for buying a vehicle that doesn't run

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    For a devoted wheeler, a second vehicle is a must. It lets you do major rehabs, mods and changes to your Runner, and still get to work, or parts run..
    I agree. I don't even wheel my 4runner, but as many miles as it has, it sure would be nice to have a dd when I'm fixing stuff.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Sean, I agree with the few that have said if you are searching for a reliable cheap fuel efficient DD that this is not the place to look.

As far as a new project car, I am pysched. Check as many fluids as possible, as the condition of the fuids may give you a peek into the maintenance habits of the PO. As far as any specific car, try to find an enthusiast group online or locally, and then ask the what common problems there are with those cars, and check for those also, in addition to all the things mentioned above.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

ok so i want your guy's advise on this, besides RUN!

so in my conversations with the seller, i have found out that as far as CA DMV is concerned, the previous owner still owns the car. the seller never registered it when he bought it 5 years ago. the title was lost before he bought it, and he had planned on getting it registered and title transferred over and whatnot. when he got it back on the road, which never happened. (i found all this out tonight) he gave me the name and phone number of the PO (which happens to be his life long friend)

so here is my plan, and here's where id like the advise: im going to call DMV tomorrow and explain my situation and see what they say. beyond that, im going to call the legal owner and explain the situation. basically i will be legally buying the vehicle from him, but paying the guy selling the vehicle to me. in talking with the current "owner", we have decided that drawing up a bill of sale with the current legal owner's name on it. i will be "buying" the vehicle from the legal owner, and he will have to sign the (new) title handing the vehicle over to me. does this sound good to you guys? any tips? etc?

obviously i can walk away at any time. i have no money invested in this. but, i really like the car, and i feel that its a really good deal, even with these DMV hurdles. obviously ill know more tomorrow on whether or not i need to run based on the legal owners response, etc. its not like the guy is trying to take me for $30,000. im paying less than 1k for the car.

thanks for the help.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

as a response to the posts above:

yeah i know its not going to be as cheap as just driving the 4runner. i will have to put a bit of money into it to get it to be a reliable vehicle.

big reason for this is with a dedicated daily driver, i can wheel the 4runner more, and harder. i will no longer have to rely on it to get me to school or work come monday.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

if you can work out the DMV hurdles without paying an assload then i dont see any issues.
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Sounds like you're doing the best thing and researching the DMV aspect. I would even go so far as to double check everything you hear from one person at DMV with another person at DMV. Also, make sure you get the name of whomever you speak to at DMV, that way later, if something comes up with another person at the same DMV, you can say exactly who gave you the info you were given.

One other tip, if the original owner is a female and the title is in her maiden name. Have her sign it using her maiden name. I had an asshole at DMV who wasn't going to let me register Vanna due to the lady signing her legal married name on the title when it was still in her maiden name. I had to go to a "manager" and she said it's just easier to have them sign it with there maiden name. That same asshole was trying to tell me that I would get a ticket for removing the seats in the van or if I had tools/materials in the van. I asked him about all the minivans in the home depot parking lot on the weekend with seats removed and husbands loading them up with tools/supplies. He said, "It's illegal, I guess the police just don't care to enforce it." This was like a 5 min conversation as well and he was balking at registering it due to me being a self employed contractor.

Sean, sorry for the rant. Moral of the story, do your homework like you're doing. I actually have had good experiences at our local DMV, but if my number gets called again and I get that guy, I will try to make his experience with me a living hell.
    My signature

should i call my local dmv? or the general number for the (i believe) state office?

ok so heres an update: basically the legal owner has to have a notarized signature on the form for requesting a new title.

i decided that i shouldnt have to do any of that work and put it back on the seller, telling him that once he gets his crap in order, ill look at buying the vehicle.

in the mean time, im going to look at another one tomorrow, one i think i actually like better. it needs a bit more work, and the body is kind of rough, but i think i can tackle it! ill keep you guys posted on the outcome. i also might post a wiki article on buying an old, non running car after all this is done!

Yeah, definately make the seller do the work. That way, if it isn't as sketchy as it sounds, he'll make it good.

I would call the general number, April has just taught me that it is important to get their name and even extension, anything that you can point to in case you call back and someone tells you otherwise. Same goes for if you go in and deal with one person and have to come back. Keep track of who you talked to.
    My signature

so the saga continues:

i advise him on what he and his buddy need to do to sell me the car:

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    So heres the deal with the DMV. Neil will have to print (or pick up) this form: http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg227.pdf fill it out, and have it notarized, instructions found here: http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm#BM2522 Once that happens, and you have the signed title in hand, i can purchase the car from you. as far as dmv is concerned, neil is transfering the vehicle to me, but i will need a bill of sale from you, and one between you and neil (for a dollar or whatever, just to show that it wasnt a gift).

honestly, i dont have the time or energy to do the leg work on this one. i have another set of midterms coming up, and another set of projects, in addition to normal course and family work. Neil is your friend, and unless you want to cut a few hundred off the price of the car, im going to let you deal with this. So im thinking this weekend is out. let me know when you get that paperwork sorted out, and ill come take a look.

thanks,
    Sean
    he replies:

Quote Originally Posted by Seller
    OK that will take some time though.
    Here is what I will do. If you agree, I will accept $750 this weekend and I will start the process by printing and sending the form to Neal.
    As soon as he gets me the title I will get it to you.
    I would guess this whole thing will take 7-8 weeks. If that is fine with you, then come on out Saturday.
    and my final reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I cannot take possession of a vehicle that I do not legally own. You are going to have to get this title problem straightened out for the buyer, whether that is me or not. Let me know when that happens. It is a very nice vehicle, and once this is straightened out you should have no problem selling it to me or anyone else. I feel terrible passing up what I think is a really killer deal (even at 1k, even with the DMV fees), but I just don't feel right about taking a vehicle that i don't own.

-Sean
    so i hope i handled that well. i dont want to take delivery of a vehicle that i dont own, only to have them come by and say that i stole it from them, with no proof other than a bill of sale (probably written on the back of a napkin) that i purchased the vehicle legally. let me know your thoughts on the deal.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast