Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: tips for buying a vehicle that doesn't run

Re: tips for buying a vehicle that doesn't run

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Hmmmm...... I have an idea and it ends in "at"
    Ford F150 Lariat?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

rofl this is hilarious having people guess... hahahaha. chris, should i tell april that you have that picture on hand? i think she would like to know...

anyway, went to look at one today, hadnt been registered since '99. (wtf is wrong with you people?). the rockers were more holes than metal...the floor under the driver seat was falling through. pretty rough. no thanks, even for the killer price he was willing to take for it.

keep looking i guess... hahaha. going to call on some others tomorrow or monday.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

J....
    '96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    J....
    Well, if that was the case, that would be awesome. I always liked Jaguars.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

wish i was buying a jag... e-type ftw!!!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

This is going to take as long as it took to design those antenna mounts isn't it...

dunno if you got all the DMV schenanigans squared away.
    if the vehicle is not current in its reg(non-op qualifies), then the new owner is $$$ responsible for it, incl penalties.
    i got screwed there. the PO took it out of non-op for 2 years, i was responsible for the fees (they did waive the peanlities) but i was still mad. the seller left the state too.
    got it running in 2 days.
    the DMV takes 7-8 weeks to process a title that is out of the system, replacement title should only take ~3 weeks.

i bought a non-running vehicle (from a member here) that sat for 10 yrs.

buy(pay) it for whats its worth, in case you have to unload it.
    dont worry about the drive train, as its likely the cause of it sitting. plan on replacing it along with all rubber and hydraulic lines.
    if it can be fixed & running cuz it had a clogged fuel filter, BONUS!
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

yeah i know ill be responsible for the dmv fees.

im not sure why it would take 7-8 weeks for them to get their crap together. ALL they have to do is get the paperwork notarized. that should only take a day! then i have to wait for the title (after i turn that paperwork into the dmv, as the new owner, sold with out a title from the legal owner)

i know im not going to find a perfect vehicle for this price range. i guess backed dmv fees come with the territory. im just wondering why no one (including the guy i talked to today) has their paperwork in order to sell a car. when i sold my honda, i had the title, bill of sale, everything required to make it go smoothly, same with my 4runner purchase, PO had everything in order. i guess i just dont understand. if you were motivated to sell it, wouldnt that be ready to go.

as for the brackets, if you want one, PM me. i thought all interest went out the door with the crap economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    . im just wondering why no one (including the guy i talked to today) has their paperwork in order to sell a car. when i sold my honda, i had the title, bill of sale, everything required to make it go smoothly, same with my 4runner purchase, PO had everything in order. i guess i just dont understand. if you were motivated to sell it, wouldnt that be ready to go.
    I'm with you on this one - I think since the vehicles aren't bound to sell for much, the people seem to think the paperwork isn't worth the trouble or something. I've looked at several beaters and people claim to have either lost the title or have it out in someone else's name. However, it seems like California has a LOT more registration related nonsense then NY does, and that therefore would complicate things quite a bit for you.

&#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

so tony finally guessed it, he gets a cookie or something next time i see him. now no spillin the beans until i post pictures!

going to look at another tomorrow, this guy actually has the title and its currently registered! so well see how that goes. might end up spending more than i wanted, but i think its a pretty solid vehicle from the pictures and info from the seller. ill have to investigate further tomorrow.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast