Thread: Too many folders...

Too many folders...

Can I be the first whiner in the suggestion box?

While I understand the desire for organization, I feel like there are way too many folders here, it makes the forum a hassle to read through. For example, it seems like ONE garage area would be better than one in each section, I don't mind reading about other models. One buy/sell advice section would be better and would help people get more advice. For example, I have owned two newer rigs so I could possibly offer some advice for someone with a newer rig if I happen to see a post about it, but I am not going to go looking in the other folders to see if I can help. ONE tech archive split into sections would be better than 6 individual tech archives in different places. There should be ONE very obvious newbie section, noobs have trouble finding those sections anyway, nevermind when there are 6 of them hidden in other folders. I guess in general I feel like a lot of the child boards could/should be merged.

Then there are folders like General Off Road tech which could really just disappear and the info that is there could go into the vehicle specific tech folders since a lot of it IS vehicle specific. For example dual cases, t-case gears, lockers, etc are different for a 79-95 truck and a 95.5-04 Tacoma. Why split up everything else, then lump all this together?

Some of the child boards are sweet though, I like that NSFW and religious/political discussion sections. Overall I would rather be here instead of Peewee's playhouse over there, but this forum can be tough to navigate.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Re: Too many folders...

Use "New Posts", newbie. Must be a NE-crawlers thing...Lee had the same complaint. I'll tell ya what i told Lee - as the forum grows with content, the organization we've mapped out will become apparent. We've had to split big forums into separate sections before and it was a major pita. Again - using New Posts will negate any issues with too many forums since it puts it all on one page - you can also collapse the categories you don't care to see. That will reduce the number of forums you see. We won't be making changes that drastic this early into UY's life.

Thanks tho...
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I do use the new posts button, but browsing the forum outside of there is still a PITA, I wanted to post this two days ago but couldn't find the proper section.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

I've gotta agree and have always advocated for KISS. But...not much we can do now. One of the problems with the new post feature is you can't come back to a post later, if you already clicked on it.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

At least the search function works well.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD