Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full blown expedition rack for a 3rd gen, ideas and pics inside

Full blown expedition rack for a 3rd gen, ideas and pics inside

Right now I have a load warrior yakima rack, however mounting lights to the front is a task so usually the lights to to the top which looks a little ugly and creates height and wind issues. I also think it sits a little tall with the incorporation of the crossbars. I have been looking at the land rover discovery expo racks for ideas

this is what im shooting for which will attach the rack at the rain gutters of my runner.

this is what my runner looks like and how much metal im about to have put on top

I welcome all opinions on whether I should do this later on or shoot this idea while its flying in the sky.

Also I wont be using square tubing, more of the round tubing that you see made from the load warrioer but a little bit bigger in diameter and smaller in diameter in sections.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Re: Full blown expedition rack for a 3rd gen, ideas and pics inside

I've got some links for ya regarding roof racks. Let me see if I can create a thread for ya. Should be interesting
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

sounds good Lance, sorry if this thread was worthless

not worthless at all! it's more like thanks for reminding me some of the other links I have bookmarked I need to post

There's quite a few options out there btw and w/o going into great details, you'll want to reuse your rails as they have hidden screws that you can use and go from there. most all of the hardcore expedition racks will require some custom work but I think in the long run that'll be a better option for ya as I don't think the yakima/thule will be good enough for the hardcore expedition stuff.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

ahh the screws that hold the tracks on? interesting idea, I thought about that and plus the gutters might be worth to use as well

as soon as I can ill take pics 360 around my 4runner and do an illustration of what this will end up like in Adobe illustrator. just find the materials and bending is the hard part

I have a question, and it is strictly a curiosity thing, so please don't take it as I'm trying to be a dick.

But i want to know why?

I have a rack, not quite as big as you're looking at, but big enough. It sucks driving on road with it. It's loud, and heavy, and has a bunch of drag.

My question sort of centers around the fact that i can put 10 days worth of supplies + gear into my 4runner without a problem, as long as i can remove the rear seats, which takes about 20 minutes. Since i almost never go out for that length of time, its not a big deal, but i'm just wondering why you'd put all that stuff on top?

In addition, you've been talking elsewhere about an expedition trailer, which, IMHO is a much better way to go out if you feel you won't have enough room, plus you can mount a propane system, a water system, and any number of custom things you want.

For a roof rack, you have to get a bunch of waterproof storage bins and bags, and you still don't have the full use you get out of a trailer.

Anyway, I'd like to emphasize that i'm not ragging on your ideas, and i think that, as far as roof racks go, you're looking at building a pretty cool one. I just think roofracks aren't very usefull, not to mention ugly. Just wanted to see why you felt you couldn't get your gear into your 4runner.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

No offense taken. Its really one or the other when it comes to a trailer or a rack for the use of an overland/overcamp or eezi awn cartop tent. Also It would be easier to mount a set of lights on, throw various other blitz cans on top also recovery gear and what not. The main thing would be that Id like to keep the seats up as I may take others with me. mountain bikes, snowboards as well. When I pack, I never pack light it seems and it would just be something more for me to work on. I also was planning on building a sleeping platform in the rear when I dont have money for a cartop tent to use as a camping area. that would eliminate a lot of space right there for a mattress.

Basically Im just throwing ideas around and havent really figured out how I will go about completing them.

I use my rack all the time. Even when I use my trailer, I still use the rack. I also am carrying a wife, a kid, and a dog for most trips. I also like being able to store everything that is inside below the window line so that I don't lose any visibility. If I was more energetic, I could take mine off when I am not using it, but especially since it doesn't get driven daily like it used to, I just leave it on.

Blake, if you end up having one made, you may want to consider the length and width of the trailer, because you could always mount the rack on top of the trailer once you get one. Once mine gets a top, I may move the basket to the trailer.
    My signature

Once I figure out the design of the rack, instead of switching the rack in between my runner and the trailer, I may just use my load warrior rack I have now for the trailer later and have this custom rack flow with the contours of the runner.

Im gonna play with some images I took of the truck today in illustrator to get a gasp of what im thinkin in my head

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast