Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Full blown expedition rack for a 3rd gen, ideas and pics inside

Re: Full blown expedition rack for a 3rd gen, ideas and pics inside

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    ahh the screws that hold the tracks on? interesting idea, I thought about that and plus the gutters might be worth to use as well
    they are very handy if you are creative enough
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

I built a custom bed rack for my truck and then mounted a load warrior on that. I am pleased with the load warrior for now, but have also been throwing around ideas as to build one of my own. Ill get some more pictures of it and show you guys.
    88 Yota Pick-Up, Custom everything!!!

How about something like the INTI rack? It's the ultimate basket as far as I am concerned.

Philip<br />-90 2Dr 4runner<br />www.cootees.net

I think one of the problems that you will run into, is that unlike the Disco and the LandCruiser, the 4runner doesn't have a rain gutter. Those INTI racks are awesome!
    My signature

hmm yeah i forgot we dont have rain gutters.
    im still playing with the idea for now. I did have a design but i guess it wouldnt work with the runner.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Still play with the design, you may just have to drill some holes in your roof. Who knows, maybe you will come up with the new best thing. Or maybe one that uses the factory mounts and then the front uses something like I have on mine that hooks inside the door frame.
    My signature

ive been wanting to draw it up in illustrator, I have a loooot of freetime tomorrow so ill try to make that one of my plans and get a drawing put up with the 4runner in it. I took some pictures already with my rack off to get this underway.

front window sill hooks is an idea. or even putting some front tracks on is another thing I was thinkin about. Im gonna buy this 2000 sport edition without a sunroof anyways as I wouldnt use one and this rack will come to the front most likely.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by cootees
    How about something like the INTI rack? It's the ultimate basket as far as I am concerned.

I love this idea and this rack but heres the thing, on the 3rd's you have only a few ways to attach. What I have been after is the flat part of a LR disco rack, that way I could bolt it to my yakima (3) crossbars. The inuit would work given it came without feet and I coud bolt it on. Neliconcept give me a shout if you want I have thought this through before just not executed anything. Also I need the rear to be ope so my roof tent can open.

Aaron
    I can, because I don&#039;t know that I can&#039;t.

So
    Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    ive been wanting to draw it up in illustrator, I have a loooot of freetime tomorrow so ill try to make that one of my plans and get a drawing put up with the 4runner in it. I took some pictures already with my rack off to get this underway.

front window sill hooks is an idea. or even putting some front tracks on is another thing I was thinkin about. Im gonna buy this 2000 sport edition without a sunroof anyways as I wouldnt use one and this rack will come to the front most likely.
    when are you going to draw this up? Im waiting to see what you think we can do for a safari type roof rack.

Just thought of something. We could use a ARB FJ roof rack. From what I can tell they are completely flat, though my concern will be with width for my roof tent. I will also have to cut the rear out so that I can open my roof tent. Allprooffroad has them ARB Roof Rack Large (87"x44") So I would need to cut the rails off the back half there fore utilizes the front half for storage light weight crap mostly, unless I use some Yakima Q towers and clip them inside the rear pass. doors.

With a base cost of $600 and the quality we expect from ARB this might be a sensible solution, though the LaCabra type roof rack would be nice too. I would have to cut it to.

Aaron

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast