Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mastacox's 1998 4Runner SR5

Re: Mastacox's 1998 4Runner SR5

After my passenger rear shock expoloded, I decided to upgrade with a set of Rancho 9000XL's. I picked Rancho part number RS999040, which are made for a 2000-2006 Tundra. They are approximately 3" longer than stock, for increased articulation. I had to drill out the lower bushing to make them fit correctly, but other than that they were a pretty easy mod!

Mod Thread: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=8320.0

Last edited by mastacox; 09-01-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

My old front brakes were getting pretty weak, so I replaced them with some Powerslot rotors and Hawk LTS pads. I'm very happy with their performance, and the slotted rotors should increase braking performance in wet conditions.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=9119.0

The new rotors vs. the old ones:

New rotor on:

Broken in rotor per Stoptech break-in procedure:
    Last edited by mastacox; 09-01-2017 at 06:50 PM.
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

My old electrical system decided to take a crap on me, so it was time for more upgrades! A 140-amp alternator and new Optima Red Top ought to fit the bill:

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...9965.msg100014

Last edited by mastacox; 09-01-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    Brian

Kind of late update- I upgraded to a more respectable Addicted Offroad front bumper and Smittybilt XRC8 winch about 6 months ago. I don't have some good pictures of it in action yet, but here's what it looks like shiny in the driveway

[Thread Link]

Here is the new bumper mounted up with my Hella 700's. I love the look of the flat-top hoop and the 7" lights fit perfectly in there (Hella 500's would be a little small looking IMO). You can see a couple of D-rings I bought hanging down there also for winch hook points.

I modified the front of the frame and bolted the bumper up per the instructions, it's pretty solid right now and should be fine for straight or nearly-straight pulls, not sure about side pulls but I don't have plans to weld it to the frame for now. There are 6 bolts holding the frame truss on the end of the frame; for each side, 2 in the factory recovery hook spots and 1 BIG bolt going vertically through the whole thing. The bumper then bolts to the truss using 6 bolts (3 ea. side). I torqued them all pretty dang tight with red loctite and it doesn't creak or budge under anything I've done with it so far (including standing on the top hoop). Just checked torques on all of the bolts 6 months later an no loosening.

The big 60 gal compressor and a 3" harbor freight cutoff wheel were all I needed to get the job done. The 3" cutoff was only $9.99 shippped so you can't go wrong with that!

Here's with the winch mounted up:

The winch sits nice and close in and low- it could actually fit under the grill a little bit more if the solenoid box was mounted remotely but I'm happy with its location for accessibility.

My next plans would be to mount the solenoid box under the hood with driver winch controls on the dash, I'll save that for another update.
    Last edited by mastacox; 09-01-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    Brian

Installed MAP-ECU3 Piggyback ECU

After a lot of painful part throwing and troubleshooting, it turns out that my piggyback ECU (Splitsecond FTC1-E) was going bad and causing havoc on my ignition timing as well as MAF signal. As with any part breaking, it was an opportunity for an upgrade, and the old-school FTC1-E is lacking a lot of features that more modern piggyback units have.

This is what happens when your piggyback unit goes bad, if only I'd put the puzzle together before replacing each one of these sensors:

Purchased MAP-ECU3 and plug-n-play harness from URD:

Wired harness per URD instructions. It was a lifesaver being able to do this soldering work at the table and not in the glove box:

Checking jumper settings in ECU before install, checking wiring against FSM:

(Will add installed pictures and fuel/timing maps once complete)
    Last edited by mastacox; 09-01-2017 at 06:54 PM.
    Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12