Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Supercharger Wiki Has Begun... <cue imperial march>

Re: The Supercharger Wiki Has Begun... <cue imperial march>

I have a good fuel injector comparison picture in my "My rig" link in my sig. You are welcome to use it if you wish. (I have to look into the whole Wiki thing; I know nothing about them nor do I know how to edit one.

Lets not forget about the APEXi SAFC... I have one in my truck and while I know how to use it and what it does I still want to read the instructions front to back before I post up my findings... Another great option to explore, with tuning on the go w/o a laptop! Not to mention digital read-outs for all you could ever want in digital (numerical) and graphical forms...

And for a tuning noob,
    What AFRs should I be shooting for? I'm running it fat (rich) right now to be safe but I'm averaging 11mpg a tank... I'd love to get that number to at least 15 if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by turboale
    Lets not forget about the APEXi SAFC... I have one in my truck and while I know how to use it and what it does I still want to read the instructions front to back before I post up my findings... Another great option to explore, with tuning on the go w/o a laptop! Not to mention digital read-outs for all you could ever want in digital (numerical) and graphical forms...

And for a tuning noob,
    What AFRs should I be shooting for? I'm running it fat (rich) right now to be safe but I'm averaging 11mpg a tank... I'd love to get that number to at least 15 if at all possible.
    Ah Austin, we meet again.

Tuning for a noob- read Gadget's U-Tune guide that he made. It explains many things quite simply, and will definitely help you tune as long as you have a wideband O2 gauge. You're going to want to aim for stoich (14.7:1) in vacuum up to 1psi or so, and 12:1 for boost. Unfortunately, I don't know how good of a tune you will get with that little SAFC (read below).

The APEXi S-AFC is more easily compared to the URD MAF Sensor Calibrator ($219), which is a unit that modifies the MAF sensor's signal to get the engine to dump in more (or less) fuel. It has no timing control, so it is only able to control the fuel going into the engine (and even then only in open loop, because in closed loop the ECU will eventually always win).

But, as for the APEXi SAFC, I'm afraid it isn't a very good choice for our engines. I now plan to add a little blurb about it in the PFTC Wiki, but here are some main points that make it quite limited in capability compared to a Splitsecond FTC1 or Perfect Performance SMT-6-

- NO TIMING CONTROL. Does your 4Runner have any ping difficulties? You really need to get some timing retard in the high-boost/low-rpm area to make sure you aren't letting your EGT's get out of control...

- No built-in oxygen sensor signal clamp. If you are adding as much fuel as you say you are to the engine, you are probably making the ECU go haywire since it is probably in closed loop trying to lean the mixture out as much as possible. If you are running as rich as you say you are, your catalytic converter may also be toast. Your engine will run much better if you can circumvent closed-loop operation on the ECU; this a possibility with both of the PFTC's discussed in the Wiki, but not with the APEXi unit.

- Coarse Fuel Map. I'm not sure of this one, but online descriptions say that the SAFC has a "user-definable eight-point fuel map that can be done in 500 rpm increments". Not 100% sure on this, but it sounds like a much less refined tune than off of the literally huge spreadsheet that an FTC's fuel map (and timing map) are on. I suspect you can get a much more transparent tune with the denser map, even the URD MAF Calibrator is a better choice because it also has a much denser fuel map.

-Small screen = PITA for tuning. It is true that not having to plug in a laptop to do some tuning is a small advantage, but the BIG advantage of being able to use a laptop is the fact that a laptop's screen can show you a lot of information at the same time. When editing very large fuel maps, it is also nice to have the added spreadsheet commands available for changing multiple values at the same time or by the same amount. Finally, You can save as many different maps on your laptop as you like, and load them at will (the PP SMT-6 even has a switch on it to allow you to hot-swap between two different fuel/timing map sets...)

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing more about your new 4Runner, I haven't seen much info on it. What kind of fuel mods does it have? And more importantly, what are you doing to the engine to get only 11mpg?
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by 96 Runner
    I have a good fuel injector comparison picture in my "My rig" link in my sig. You are welcome to use it if you wish. (I have to look into the whole Wiki thing; I know nothing about them nor do I know how to edit one.
    I've got a comparison shot of a stock injector versus a Bosch 318cc one. I'll have to look into using your and my pics for some nice comparison shots. Thanks!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12