The classic sign that the starter contacts are going out is clicking when trying to start the engine. It's very similar to a low battery condition or loose battery connections. Your dash lights may dim and you'll hear clicking coming from the engine compartment.

Fortunately, you don't need to buy a whole new starter. The only thing that needs to be replaced is a small copper contact that costs about $5.

Having recently done a SAS on my truck, taking out the starter is much easier than with IFS. With IFS there isn't much room to maneuver. The first time I removed my starter it took us 9 hours, mostly trying to fit the tools in there and trying to squeeze the starter out and back in again. This time it took me about an hour to remove it including gathering my tools and removing my tire.

The first thing you'll want to do is disconnect the battery. I'm paranoid so I take off both the positive and the negative leads.

The second thing you'll want to do is remove the passenger tire. Then there will be a rubber skirt that needs to be removed and that is held in place my some plastic tabs. One of the most important things to remove is a plate that is held on by 4 bolts. Lastly, there is a heat shield around the exhaust pipe that will most likely need to be removed.

You'll also need to remove the positive lead that connects to the starter and another wire that plugs into the starter.

There are two bolts that hold on the starter and you need to be a contortion artist to get to them. The first time I removed the starter I used multiple socket extensions and a universal joint. I think I had about 18" of extension on my socket wrench. This time because of the solid axle I could easily access all the bolts. You'll have to figure out how to get to the bolts if you have IFS.

In this picture you can see where the bolts are. The top bolt is accessed from the rear and the bottom bolt is accessed from the front.

Once you finally wrestle the starter out you can get to the crux of the problem...the contacts. Remove the cover. It might be stuck on there so just lightly tap it off.

Removing the cover reveals the plunger and the contacts.

Here you can see the copper contacts. Mine happen to be ok as I had just replaced them several years earlier. If yours are worn you will know it immediately as it'll look like a chunk in the shape of the plunger has been machined out of it. Usually only one of the contacts is worn and needs replacing. All you need to do is unbolt the contact and replace it with a new one.

Here's a picture of the plunger and this is my original 14 year old plunger. Not much damage there.

Now you're half way done. All you need to do now is reverse the procedure and put the starter back in.

From the dealer the contacts are about $10, part number 28226-72010.

You can also get the contacts from 4crawler for about $5.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/