Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifting IFS

Re: Lifting IFS

Don't get hung up on a height. You can run narrow 33's with no real lift. If you want a wider 33, you only need a little.

BJ spacers should free up travel and kill idler arms, they alone should not be a source of lift.

If you want to lift it because you like monkeying with the truck, then do whatever you want.

If you want to wheel it, get that on 33's and lock it. Less lift is always better.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

33x10.5's will require very little lift for an agressive MT tire with large side lugs.

33x10.5 AT tires, as well as 34x9.5 SSR's will fit with absolutely no lift.

Unless you are running almost 200 lbs on your front bumper, or jumping the truck, i would highly recommend against larger torsion bars. Stock bars are the best unless you have a bunch of added weight.

As was said, if you want to look tall, and just play with the suspension, have at it.

For really wheeling: no lift, skinny 33's, and lockers.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

I think the most confusing thing about lifting our trucks is all the different opinions you have sent your way from any message board. I have heard all the pros and all the cons on lifting the IFS. I still have no clue where I stand on the situation, but I have seen TC's pictures and he does amazing things on a stock IFS. I'm working on protection, a rear locker, and beefing up my IFS top priority.

Do you think purchasing the TC Idler Arm would be a better investment then BJ spacers, torsion bars, or bracket style front lift?
    &#039;91 Pickup ExtraCab V6 5spd

I lifted my 90 runner with a 4"stage II Pro Comp lift and 35's and my cv's still sit almost perfecily even may be at 5 degree angle.
    With that said if I had it to do all over again I would take the 1200 bucks and throw it at a sas. Not that my lift is bad mind you but after learning what I have since lifting IFS and knowing that its not as strong without another 2500 long travel kit sas and get it over with yea thats what I'd do.
    1990 4 runner <br />5.29 front with Aisin hubs coming soon Aussie locker<br />5.29 rears with TRD limited slip <br />35 x 12.5 x 15 B.F.Goodrich KO&#039;s<br />15 x 8 Micky Thompson Classic II rims<br />Pro Comp stage II 4&quot; suspension lift<br /><br />1955 Panhead Original Hardtail frame and Kick start only<br />Springer front end stock rake <br />Home made Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Hand built rear Taildragger fender tombstone taillight<br />I am the SECOND OWNER did all the work myself<br /><br />1998 flhtc Dresser<br />Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Fat Tail rear fender<br />Arlen Ness custom extended hard bags with my custom exhaust running Thur Nascar Style dual tip out both sides (4 tips total)<br />Stealth Bomber Radar absorbing flat black paint

I've run a 4" Superlift + 3" PA BL + 35x12.50s on my '92 Pickup. I wish I hhad started my offroading career about 6 years ago witth all the money I sank into BS extras for show ... I'd have a killer truck right now.

I did win 1st and 2nd place trophies when I competed for 2 almost 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 91ToyTrck
    I think the most confusing thing about lifting our trucks is all the different opinions you have sent your way from any message board. I have heard all the pros and all the cons on lifting the IFS. I still have no clue where I stand on the situation, but I have seen TC's pictures and he does amazing things on a stock IFS. I'm working on protection, a rear locker, and beefing up my IFS top priority.

Do you think purchasing the TC Idler Arm would be a better investment then BJ spacers, torsion bars, or bracket style front lift?
    One also has to keep in mind the audience here too. Most people here don't have much experience with the high speed baja type of off roading. The TC and other long arm suspensions are geared for that high speed stuff and as a side gives better than average rockcrawling performance.

People here are mostly talking about rock crawling and we've all come to the conclusion that it's better to put as little money into ifs as possible, learn to wheel with ifs, then SAS when the time is right.

Personally, I don't think the TC idler arm is worth it. Reinforce the stock one and carry a spare.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I'm glad to see some are on my side. I'm not trying to throw much money into the truck till I can sas, but that will be some time. I just want a good dependable DD and weekend warrior to learn and beat up the trails.

Like was mentioned before, a locker is the best investment, 33x10.5 will fit with no lift. IMHO second place to spend your money is on armour- I still need to put skids on my truck and its taking a bit of a pounding because of it.
    &quot;You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life.&quot; -Sir Winston Churchill

Another vote for no lift...If need be, trim the fenders.

Many people associate this with trimming:

and shy away from the idea, when in fact most of the time this is all that's needed:

In regards to beefing IFS, don't think I'd bother. Doing so is pretty impractical cost wise - just look at some of the prices on the Total Chaos website. Do some front end maintenance replacing those components prone to wear (idler, tie rods, etc.), and you have yourself a set of spares as well as the knowledge to replace them in a timely manner.

Low and Wide, yota pride.
    T.O.Y.O.T.A.<br />Take Off Your Oversized Tires Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12