Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Shots!

Re: Night Shots!

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Haven't got many up on the web, but here's a 2 hr exposure with my D70.

*note, digital SLR's are NOT good at these long exposures.

Ok i think i might not fully understand the long exposure thing. do you have to leave the camera in the same place for that long to take the pic? How did you get the "circular" effect with the stars?

ummm... the earth isn't stationary. you have to have a tripod and leave the camera for however long you set the exposure for. it needs to be absolutely, perfectly still - so no holding it - and you will need a remote so you don't have to touch it. the swirling effect is due to the spin of the earth. that's how much you move, in relation to the stars, in a 2hr period.
    -andy

Yup, the camera needs to be mounted on a tripod so it doesn't move. Then you can leave the aperture open for a very long time to capture enough light for the pictures.

The stars rotating is the real thing. The stars rotate in the sky as the earth turns (soap opera?). One of the first pictures I'm interested in taking when I get a DSLR is pointing it directly at the north star and keeping the shutter open for about two hours or so. You see, the north star is the only star in the sky that doesn't move (hence the name, the north star), so when you take a very long exposure of it, it will stay in the same place and all of the other stars rotate about it. In Oly's picture, the north star is just off the left side of the picture, based on that you can kind of judge where the center of rotation is.

Very cool picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphorickaty80
    Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Haven't got many up on the web, but here's a 2 hr exposure with my D70.

*note, digital SLR's are NOT good at these long exposures.

Ok i think i might not fully understand the long exposure thing. do you have to leave the camera in the same place for that long to take the pic? How did you get the "circular" effect with the stars?
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Here's an example of a picture with the North Star (Polaris) at the center of the picture:

Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Those are some awesome looking pictures. I tried to get into photography back in the day but tis expensive! I have a hard enough time affording fluids for my Taco...
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Very cool.....thats what i thought was happening i just wanted to be sure....i can operate a camera but thats about the extent of it..

ok for my final i have decided to do S.F. by Night. i just got home from my first take at it... here's some teasers.. these have no way been edited or otherwise photoshopped. i just got home an want to goto bed, but know if i dont post them know, it wont happen.

[img width=800 height=532]http://www.eakland.net/d50/night/DSC_1650.JPG[/img]
    [img width=800 height=532]http://www.eakland.net/d50/night/DSC_1673.JPG[/img]
    [img width=532 height=800]http://www.eakland.net/d50/night/DSC_1680.JPG[/img]

i need to go in and add contrast to a couple spots and change the white balance to get rid of the redness.... i'll update it later, like i said its a teaser...
    94 4Runner: All the Good Stuff<br /><br />[color=grey] 89 4runner: 3.0, Auto, HID&#39;s<br /><br />[color=blue]81 2wd pickup: 22r, 5sp, Lock Right, custom seats, Hella 500&#39;s on the bumper.

Those are awesome! You take some great pics tofer!

got some initial photoshop work done...

94 4Runner: All the Good Stuff<br /><br />[color=grey] 89 4runner: 3.0, Auto, HID&#39;s<br /><br />[color=blue]81 2wd pickup: 22r, 5sp, Lock Right, custom seats, Hella 500&#39;s on the bumper.

couldnt sleep tonight so i went out to take some pics. all the pics can be see here http://photography.eakland.net/main.php?g2_itemId=1054
    but here are some teasers...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast