Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Cheese

Re: Cutting the Cheese

Cheese, stupid question here--is there a benefit to running the coilover mounts in front of the axle instead of directly above it? Does this place more stress on the upper links?

Great looking rig! I don't think I've ever seen the up close pics of it.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

The bumper was built while waiting for fuel stuff at Xtreme Engineering in Fort Collins.

Benefit? You can cheat height by having them in front rather than on top. 12" travel coilovers are just short on 32" fully extended. Gaining a little height by mounting in front, like 1-2 inches is a big deal.

In part this has been intentionally hidden. What the heck can you say about any project once it is done? Yeah, great, cool. Or, stupid, silly, worthless. I have millions of personal man hours, friends favors and dollars into this thing, I like it and I did what I wanted.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Wow, just stumbled on this looking through the fab section and dang cheese!!!! The is a sweet build! I agree with Axle that its surprising there are not more comments on it. Out of my own curiosity what backspacing are you running on those wheels...I'm trying to decide what width D44's I want to get, and I like how wide your stance is...
    98 Limited - Sonoran Goodies - Big Tires - Mostly stock

Very nice...Not anywhere near this level of modification...GREAT JOB!

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

I forgot about this build. How does it do cruising on the dirt roads? Can you get on the throttle some now that you have those kick ass bumpstops?

I really would like to see pics of it in action, especially pics of the rear flexing. Great build!
    My signature

Things that have changed:
    -The sweet domestic fuel pump crapped out in traffic on the way to work, now I have a modified Taco sending unit, pump and consequently a working gas gauge.
    -Baffle your cell or tank. When I get to 1/4 tank and rally corners is starves
    -I have a leaky steering gear, not looking forward to that rebuild
    -Coilovers still baffle me, I have not nailed the rate and other BS

The fuel stuff is in a thread about Deckplate Mods. I was being a wise guy.

My front axle is short on 67" WMS to WMS. My rear is a 63 with spacers, so 66 say.

Now that I took that fitting off the front ARB, it goes fast fine. If you have ever gone fast in a swapped truck, usually your kidneys will bleed. This truck goes fast, no worries, I just don't like going fast.

If I did it again, I would build a big Taco diff rear instead of the standard 8" V-6. I am worried about eating gears, I have lots of weight, power and gearing plus Chromo shafts.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Sorry, the wheels are 15x8ish with 3 and 1/4 BS with OMF beadlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    If I did it again, I would build a big Taco diff rear instead of the standard 8" V-6.
    I'm surprised you didn't go with the Ford 9", if and when I get a pair of Diamond axles, that's the route I'll be going, for the buggy that is..... still undecided on width and if I want open or closed knuckles.

So when you gonna cut those dang leafs off the front and link it to match the rear?
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

It so sexy. I can't take my eyes off of it. How much to make love to it? 10 bucks okay?

:hump:
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Honestly, I think part of what makes it drivable are the front leaves.

I have also experienced axle-wrap up there and have thought about it. Still not sure I see the point of linking a full bodied truck. That compromises drivability too much and I doubt I would get the full benefit of links in a truck like this. We shall see.

On the rear, I was hustling, at the time, to get to Moab thinking that I could do the front first and then do the rear later. So, I thought I would keep the rear in tact. I could have used that locker for the front and bought a real diff for the rear.

As to Ford or not I could have had a really expensive rear end instead of a pretty expensive rear end.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast