Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.5" lift - 2nd Gen 4Runner - Ideal shock lengths

1.5" lift - 2nd Gen 4Runner - Ideal shock lengths

One common question people ask is "if I've lifted my truck, how long should my shocks be?" Well after careful measurements, I have your answer for a 1.5" lifted 4Runner anyway.

I have realized that my shocks (especially the rear ones) are MUCH longer than he stock length shocks most people have for their trucks with moderate lifts...

After some careful suspension measurements I did some research; the Rancho RSX shocks I got are 15.25" compressed and 25.25" extended, Rancho p/n RSX 17327, they are PERFECT for a 1.5" HD Downey setup. Stock is 13.0" and 20.75", so these shocks are 4.5" longer. You will, however, need to trim your gas tank skid plate and/or get the panhard bar drop. Also, the shocks' bushings are too small, so you need to drill them out with a 5/8 drill bit (the shocks are actually for a 3.5" lifted Wrangler). I have a significant amount of flex in the rear with these shocks, probably about 6" more than stock at the wheel.

My front shocks are 10.00" compressed, and 14.75" extended, Rancho p/n RSX 17010. They are just a little longer than stock (1.375"), but almost the same compressed. Stock is 9.375" and 13.375". These shocks have worked great with the BJ spacers and low-profile polyurethane bump stops.

Anyway, now you know.

Pics:

Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: 1.5" lift - 2nd Gen 4Runner - Ideal shock lengths

That's very informative ... does this same type of concept work for trucks as well?
    '91 Pickup ExtraCab V6 5spd

Good info. Here is a link to the specs on some rancho RS9000 shocks. It is a jeep page but what the hell. Hopefully I can find a more recent one to post.
    http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/shockspecs/

I am running the rs9009s (26.78 ext./15.67 comp.) in the rear with cruiser coils and they work very well.
    My signature

Less is more

I know yall are sporting Ranchos, but is there a reason why them over some other shock? are they priced well? I'm to be purchasing some shocks soon for my suspension. I'm probably going to have bj spacers and a 3 pack deaver aal.
    '91 Pickup ExtraCab V6 5spd

Wow, you gained a ton of flex. I can't believe the sway bar will let the axle flex that far. I guess those rear sway bars are pretty pathetic.
    '95 4Runner, 3.0, Auto, 140K.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLover
    Wow, you gained a ton of flex. I can't believe the sway bar will let the axle flex that far. I guess those rear sway bars are pretty pathetic.
    That's because I also have swaybar disconnects front and rear.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...26&topic=218.0
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Did you notice a big difference in flex with the discos? I only ask because my rear gets full flex with the sway bar still connected. I noticed a huge difference when I removed my front swaybar but the rear doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference. The way my rear flexs I am suprised that I haven't broke anything on the rear sway bar.

Quote Originally Posted by 91ToyTrck
    I know yall are sporting Ranchos, but is there a reason why them over some other shock? are they priced well? I'm to be purchasing some shocks soon for my suspension. I'm probably going to have bj spacers and a 3 pack deaver aal.
    I have the ranchos in the rear because I was installing cruiser coils and there was a mixed review on how stiff or soft the different ones were, therefore I went with the adjustables. Also wanted the adjustables because at the time, the 4runner was my wifes DD/kid hauler but then we also used it for our trips and I wanted to be able to tow my trailer and camping gear etc... They work really good, when it is empty you can have them on the softer side and not be jarring all the time taking advantage of the softness of the cruiser coils, and then with the trailer or a lot of gear in the back just tighten them up and it rides really smooth. I have OME n98 in the front. I don't think you want the rancho adjustable's in the front with IFS, I don't remember the exact reason but something to do with being one stage shocks. Somebody could probably explain it better than that.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Did you notice a big difference in flex with the discos? I only ask because my rear gets full flex with the sway bar still connected. I noticed a huge difference when I removed my front swaybar but the rear doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference. The way my rear flexs I am suprised that I haven't broke anything on the rear sway bar.
    Well, I see and feel a huge difference with the front disconnected. Not really so much with the rear, but I do bend the rear bar less with the disconnects. I prefer keeping the rear bar for on-road driving since it helps make the rear axle a little less squirrelly over offset bumps.
    Brian

Ya, I have followed behind a 4runner with no swaybars at all coming down the highway from Big Bear, did not look like fun. I think the next time I go wheeling I will disconnect one side and see how it feels.
    My signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast