Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanics Gloves

Mechanics Gloves

After 3 years, I am in dire need of new mechanics gloves.

i know they are all pretty good and do their job, but which ones do you like best? which fit best on your hand? etc.

i have a problem where my relatively small hands dont fill most gloves, and usually the thumbs are too long. (yea make all the jokes you want, its a damn curse i tell you, until you need to reach a bolt on the back of an engine block or something.

i know some swear by not using gloves, and there are those times where its difficult to use them and a bare hand is better. but for the times when you need em, what do you use?

so i have craftsman gloves, and they are good, but i want something better if it exists, any recommendations?

i think this should help out many people who are looking for new gloves.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Mechanics Gloves

I say go into Home Depot, lowes, pepboys, autozone, where ever, and try them all on and find what works best for you. I am fine with some cheap leather gloves that don't fit well. I take them off when precision in grabbing or unscrewing something is needed or when wedging my hand into somewhere tight.
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

I have a set of Mechanix brand gloves that I love, and just came by a new set of Mechanix brand Impactz (or osmething like that) gloves that are also really good, they fit your hands tight, and a re even pretty good for precision grabbing and tight spaces. The shop where I used to work the guys there always just wore disposable rubber surgeons gloves. Cheap for a whole box of them, still feel everything, and can gran and whatnot, but keep you clean and whatnot.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I use the Mechanix gloves also. My local Sam's club has them now.. 2 pairs for like $25 or something for the FastFit ones. They work well for me.

I never could stand the latex gloves.. just too sweaty. I'd rather just wash my hands.
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

i use latex when doing stuff like wheel bearings or stuff in the engine with say the valve cover or the heads off.

i think ill give the mechanix gloves a try next.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Whenever I need gloves to work on the truck, I use my construction gloves, which are very stout:

http://www.clccustomleathercraft.com/

Go to homedepot or any other large hardware store and they should have all kinds in many different sizes (the small ones are REALLY small).

Unless I work with a lot of liquid (oil etc.) I don't use latex gloves...they make my hands sweat waaaay too much.
    :Marko:<br />
    Supercharged[COLOR=Sienna] 98 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.4L<br />315cc Injectors :: 4&quot; Deckplate :: TrueFlow Air Intake System :: Magnaflow 18&quot; Muffler w/ Resonator<br />XM Sat Radio (Roady XT) :: Autometer Boost Gauge :: Color Keyed Spoiler<br />
    <br /><br />
    TOYOTA|moving forward

I use a set of Mechanix gloves unless I'm working near grease or liquids. In that case I have a box of nitrile rubber gloves I throw on and they're disposable so I don't mind buring through them. I used to use the nitrile gloves all the time when I worked as a mechanic because if I didn't the cold weather and constant hand washing not to mention contact with all kinds of harsh fluids would wreak havoc on my hands, often leaving them severely cracked or bleeding in winter. The guys used to make fun of me because I'd always have rubber gloves (what the guys called dish gloves) on, but it saved me from exposure to alot of nasty stuff (nor did I look like I'd just been fingerprinted at the local PD like the other guys did even after washing their hands in brake cleaner.....if I didn't wear them my hands would also look perpetually dirty). For a homeowner, just a good set of mechanic gloves (something durable with good grip) and box of latex gloves for oil/coolant changes would work fine. Just keep in mind that latex gloves don't do very well when exposed to harsh chemicals (carb cleaner, brake cleaner, tranny fluid, etc) and may begin to dissolve right on your hands when used in this type of situation. Nitrile is a much better choice if you can find them.

This is a good place to get all different types of mechanic and nitrile gloves.
    http://www.professionalequipment.com/work-gloves/
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I usually get what fits good and isn't too expensive. I have tried some of the more expensive ones but I also use them when I install hardibacker on floors in prep for tile. The expensive ones last slightly longer, so now I just get ones that fit good and have padding on the backside of the knuckles. I also use the nitrile gloves when wrenching in the engine bay.
    My signature

Nitrile for grease type stuff

Mechanics gloves for basic wrenching

$1.99 work gloves for fab work (buy in pairs of 10) Throw away when trashed

$7.00 welding gloves for fab work (buy in pairs of 5) Throw away when trashed

Three years?

I am lucky to get a weekend out of a standard pair of Mechanix.

I use Shocker gloves from Poly Performance or MAC insulated, which is to say Impact when doing recovery or spotting.

Nitriles when it is dirty.

The new mesh back Mechanix look like they might be worth a damn, but at 40 a pop I am not so sure.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast