Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat in bed

Seat in bed

So a month or two ago I was kickin around an idea of finding an old jeep fold and tumble seat (weatherproof and stuff) and building a frame in the bed of my truck (about over the axle) that will bolt directly to the frame (so i can remove it eventually) about 13" or so (so as to clear my spare tire in the bed) high and putting the seat on it for some extra seating. Now I will NOT allow this to be used on normal streets and ESPECIALLY not the freeway/highway, it'd be more for camping/wheeling for just transportation of friends to and from different areas within a campsite, and when needed around campus instead of 20 people trying to squeeze into my cab. Does anyone have any thoughts or criticism of this idea?
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Re: Seat in bed

even offroad i think you would want seat belts, and of course some kind of roll bar if you use it for actual wheeling.

if its just purely for transport, maybe some kind of grab handle for those in the seat so they dont get tossed.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I think its a cool idea, and with seat belts and a roll bar it would even be theoretically as safe as most of the rigs I've ever ridden in. I say do it! and letme help. lol.

EDIT: Also, we should look at putting the Tundra solid power rear window (or a 4runner window I suppose) in there, so you could lower that and have the people in the bed be a more integral part of your group.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

seatbelts yes, I forgot to mention that, I'd probably snag the seatbelts out of the jeep too and bolt those in good. i wouldnt let anyone be in it in a dangerous situation basically. that means no being in it on city streets (other than around campus...thats slow/not much traffic and whatnot), no being in it for highway use, no being in it while im actually wheeling more than dirt roads basically. i might be able to do the rollbar idea, though i don't think this idea is good enough to put any good amount of money into. i also need to be able to remove everything because i value my bedspace.
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

if it just for around campus and from camp site to camp site, why not just pile in the back? i think the lost of bed space for a steel frame wouldnt be worth the few times you;d use it. maybe i'm just a na-sayer..
    94 4Runner: All the Good Stuff<br /><br />[color=grey] 89 4runner: 3.0, Auto, HID&#39;s<br /><br />[color=blue]81 2wd pickup: 22r, 5sp, Lock Right, custom seats, Hella 500&#39;s on the bumper.

youre probably right, I just thought it'd be cool if I could find a seat for free and somehow stick it in there. i geuss my money would be better spent elsewhere

What you need are the seat setup out of a Subaru Brat.
    Cupholder Mod

Quote Originally Posted by jrallan26
    What you need are the seat setup out of a Subaru Brat.
    ive been told that several times, though i think theyd look really goofy, and you cant fit more than 1 person per seat. its not a bad idea with the grab handle and all though

That would take up a lot of space:

Maybe you could just build a bench that fits in there and then just take it out when you don't need it... Still, I'm on board with the whole just pile in the back thing.
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

I think it would be cool if you came up with some sort of removeable brackets for wooden bench style sheets like the Suzuki Maruti...where the seats are horizontal with the side of the bed and the passengers are facing each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast