Thread: How to remove Front axle oil seal?

How to remove Front axle oil seal?

How to remove Front axle oil seal?

Part # 90311-47013

A small screwdriver or pry-bar won’t work it without causing damage to the seal and ring. Then there’s getting it back in too.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks
    1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

Re: How to remove Front axle oil seal?

Seal puller, but I would go buy a new seal just incase you ruin the old one.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Looks like you'll need a puller. If it's not coming out easily (which it shouldn't as it's a press fit) the puller will mess it up. I would use a seal installer/press to get the new one back in.

This is an output seal after I went at it with a puller.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Truck%20Output%20Seal/DSC04918.jpg[/img]

Thanks all for the quick responses

Harbor Freight, I don’t care what people say …They Rock- Puller and Seal Press 15.00

I’m sure someone’s thought of it already: with no one around to hold the brakes a hex in the rotor works.

I found this sucker riding on top of my lower ball joint.
    1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

Hmm the seal puller never helped save mine I bought about 3 seals JIC I messed it up, I made a wood block into my seal setting tool and have to swap seals in a parking lot o what a mess (must have been a land rover).

Aaron
    I can, because I don&#039;t know that I can&#039;t.

I just used a pry bar on those seals and mine came out fine without a puller. To set them again I just used a 3/8" socket extension but a seal driver would have been better. Biggest thing is not to drive the seal in too far or it will leak again.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    I just used a pry bar on those seals and mine came out fine without a puller. To set them again I just used a 3/8" socket extension but a seal driver would have been better. Biggest thing is not to drive the seal in too far or it will leak again.
    Good advice, I drove mine in too far and it leaked.