Thread: Toyota to release 4.6 V8 in 2010 Tundra

Toyota to release 4.6 V8 in 2010 Tundra

Toyota plans to have a 4.6L 1UR engine available on the 2010 Tundra, as well as a new 6spd automatic transmission for the 4.6 motors.

"Toyota is stating the new V-8’s specs at 310 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 327 pounds-feet of torque at 3,400 rpm. Although these numbers may not sound hugely impressive -- especially compared with its direct competitors -- this new engine does offer the best horsepower and torque for its size, especially when you look at horsepower and torque per liter.

As for fuel economy -- an all-important number nowadays -- EPA numbers haven’t been finalized, but Toyota is saying the numbers will be as good as, if not better than, the leading V-8 numbers in the class, which means upward of 15 or 16 mpg in the city and a minimum of 20 mpg on the highway. These numbers are most likely for the regular cab, short-bed, two-wheel-drive model.

This new engine isn’t the only trick up Toyota’s sleeve; along with the new V-8, the automaker also has a “new” six-speed transmission (the A760E). Some might have guessed Toyota would use the six-speed it already pairs with its 5.7-liter V-8, but after considerable testing engineers concluded that transmission wasn’t a perfect match for the horsepower and torque output of the smaller V-8. Instead, they decided to slightly modify the gear ratios of the existing five-speed auto and include another cog without having to increase the size or weight of the transmission itself. As a result, 1st gear is a respectable 3.52:1 and 6th gear is a low-rpm-running 0.59:1. Preliminary fuel economy numbers are calculated with the lower (numerically) of the two ring-and-pinion gearsets offered (3.91:1 and 4.10:1). We’re guessing Toyota is leaving itself plenty of room for a possible high-mileage option package down the road, possibly offering 3.55:1 or 3.73:1 axle gear options. Some major players in the segment are using 3.15:1 gears for their high-mpg packages."

More info here:
    http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....ive-video.html

Also found on Toyota's website:
    http://www.toyota.com/about/news/pro...-1-tundra.html

This appears to be another version of the 1UR motor. Toyota has two other version of the 1UR. The GS460 has a 1UR-FE making 342hp, and the LS460 has a 1UR-FSE (direct injection) making 380hp.

This motor should also be available as an option in the Sequoia, and I think it is vary likely to be an option on the 5th gen 4Runner.

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: Toyota to release 4.6 V8 in 2010 Tundra

One liter less and still the same amount of gas mileage as the others?

Toyota needs to make a more fuel efficient V8.
    I know that sounds like an oxymoron but chevy has a decently sized V8 that gets better gas mileage.

Toyota is behind imho, the race use to be for horsepower, but then fuel became an issue and that race changed to the race for fuel economy..

I don't know I am probably going way off on this but who knows...

Yeah, I think this engine is supposed to compete with the smaller V8s being offered by the GM, Ford, and Dodge.

[Edit] GM claims 21mpg for the 4.8 V8, 21mpg for Ford's 4.6 V8, 20mpg for Dodge's V8, and 18mpg for Toyota's 5.7.

I don't know how the Iforce 5.7 fuel consumption compares to GM's 6.0, Ford's 5.4, or Dodge's 5.7. I do know that Ford will be introducing a new line of engines shortly, which should be make things interesting.

What I'm curious about is whether or not the new A760 tranny could be a direct bolt in replacement to the A750 tranny found in the '05 and '06 V8 tundras. There may be some computer stuff to figure out, but it would be really nice to have a 6th gear in the older Tundras. From reading on tundrasolutions, it seems the new Tundras with the 5.7 and 6spd auto get the same mileage as the older Tundras with the 4.7 and 5spd auto, partly due to the addition gear. At least that is what some folks are saying.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

the real question is, will it fit in a 2nd gen?
    My signature

Good read !!
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Ya know when will they realize mpg isnt everything in a real truck. A truck is made to haul, tow and carry stuff-not cart around your kids or nothing.

I also find it really funny (and I keep saying this but no one seems to care, dunno why as it makes sense) that with all these modern electronics, modern engines, engineered gas, etc-that a old vehicle gets the same mpg as the new ones do.

A friend of mine has a fullsize 78 bronco, it has no emissions or anything else, everything is simple and mechanical. he gets 12mpg in town, the new tundra gets 13mpg in town.. HOW CAN A 30+ YEAR OLD TRUCK GET THE SAME MPG A MODERN VEHICLE DOES? It just annoys me greatly that in 30+ years they cant do better.. Diesel is the answer, we need a diesel engine in everything and then if one were smart they would try out biodiesel, veggie oil or liek those who have diesels use thier old oil in the tank along with the fuel-therefore you never waste your oil change oil.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

My Tundra double cab 5.7 got 15 city with 200 plus HP and torque more than that 30 year old truck . Plus better emissions. Not arguing about the diesel, but you aren't comparing apples to apples with that statement, at all
    AZFJ Founding Memberwww.wikidfj.com&nbsp; under construction<br />http://wikidfj.blogspot.com/<br />Member build page<br />http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...other-gal.html