2 9.09%
  • 96-02 4Runner

17 77.27%
  • Older 4Runner or Truck

3 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tacoma Or 4Runner

Tacoma Or 4Runner

Looking around in the garage I am seeing more profile's for 4runners then Tacomas, So im just trying to get a feeler for what everyone is driving...
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Re: Tacoma Or 4Runner

My last vehicle was a pick up. I replaced it with a 4runner. I really like having the rear seat and covered inclosed storage. The truck was nice for us for many years but with a kid on the way and a desire for more cargo and passenger room the 4runner was a no brainer. When we got rid of the truck we bought a utility trailer so we would still have something to make dump runs with, pick up/move large items, etc.

I looked at the tacomas in ext cab and double cab but they were much more cost wise than a 4runner. To me the additional cost was not worth having a pickup. The tacoma beds are too small for me anywise. I don't think I would have been happy with one.

Both are nice. If you tend to carry dirty crap, get the truck. If you carry more passengers or stuff that you want secured in a dry vehicle, get the 4Runner. If you're planning on wheeling it the 4Runner has a much tighter turning circle and considerably less break-over angle due to the shorter wheelbase. I also much perfer the 4Runner's 5-link coil rear end over the leaf setup on the Tacoma.

I've never had a pick up; based on where I lived before (NYC) it would've been hugely impractical and storing ANYTHING in the bed would've been a terrible idea as it wouldn't be there much longer. I'm starting to see the appeal now but it would have to have a much bigger bed then the Tacoma. I like the 4Runner because it is, as mentioned, enclosed, dry & warm. It rocks for camping because my girlfriend and I can both sleep in the back and if it gets really cold, we can always run the engine.

Currently, my rear seats are removed and the seatbacks are folded down and I have PLENTY of room for hauling things, and I frequently do. If the stuff I'm hauling is dirty, I throw down a big tarp and call it done. The Tacoma bed would've been nice to have at times, but, anything that didn't fit into the 4Runner (huge couch) would not have really fit into the Tacoma bed either.

&#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

I'm in college, have a large-breed dog, own a Tacoma, and the 6' bed has come in handy more than once.

... But I've got the worse case of buyer's regret, I really wish I could seat four adults and have a sealed cargo area.
    --- Gary

I figured thats what the general consensus would be...Oh paddlen, I already got myself a taco, I was just wondering what and why..
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

haha you already know my deal...paying 1k more for a truck over a 4runner was nuts to me. now im just glad i dont need a tent anymore. ive also had 3 passengers out exploring with me on quite a few occasions. only reason id get a truck is if i had a dirt bike. but of course a 1k trailer behind a 4runner works just fine and youve got some flexablility for the same money invested

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    My last vehicle was a pick up. I replaced it with a 4runner.
    I looked at the tacomas in ... double cab but they were much more cost wise than a 4runner. To me the additional cost was not worth having a pickup.
    X2
    no regrets yet!
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    haha you already know my deal...paying 1k more for a truck over a 4runner was nuts to me. now im just glad i dont need a tent anymore. ive also had 3 passengers out exploring with me on quite a few occasions. only reason id get a truck is if i had a dirt bike. but of course a 1k trailer behind a 4runner works just fine and youve got some flexablility for the same money invested
    X2 This thing has almost paid for itself.
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Trailer/DSC06773.jpg[/img]

We've only had it a year but if you add up the money it would have cost to have a fridge, washer, dryer, dresser, entertainment center delivered plus the hauling I've done to the dump. All that stuff was purchased/done at different times. Delivery costs range from 30-75 dollars although they include hookup and haul away sometimes. We had nothing to haul away so I wasn't going to pay them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast