Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail Gear Differential Breather Kit

Trail Gear Differential Breather Kit

Is anyone running the Trail Gear Creeper Breather Kit?

What does everyone else think of this kit? I kind of like the idea. Won't work directly on IFS front diffs, but I like the idea of not having to figure out how and where to run a tube like most diff breathers.

I'm also thinking that I've seen something like this in the hardware store, I'll have to browse the aisles next time I'm there.
    My signature

Re: Trail Gear Differential Breather Kit

that does sound good but the only thing i can see is that it will have some resistance and that will put the diff in states of, ever so slight, pressure and vacuum. the traditional breather i believe has no resistance, but ill be looking in to this now that you posted it. im in the market for one. i went through a deep puddle the other weekend

I remember a discussion about it awhile back that basically stated that it worked ok but how does air escape from it properly without letting water in?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Air doesn't escape it just expands and contracts like a bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    I remember a discussion about it awhile back that basically stated that it worked ok but how does air escape from it properly without letting water in?
    I believe that it is air/watertight, and it is operating on the assumption that it has enough available volume to expand and take the expansion of heated air.

Yep, like Kevin said.

My signature

I see, I had figured as much.

I do recall that the basic consensus was that it maybe had enough volume to expand but people were leery of it. Hey, whats the worst that happens, gear oil heats up and breaks down?

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Hey, whats the worst that happens, gear oil heats up and breaks down?
    And blows gear oil out your seals.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy

And blows gear oil out your seals.
    That would be bad, very, very bad..

I personally would not trust it. I am a simpleton and the old tried and true method, works for me. Just run a hose.

I wouldn't be worried about it heating up your gear oil. That is not what the breather valve is for, it is to let the expanding heated air out (not for temp. regulation) but because otherwise it builds up pressure and like Kevin said it will make your oil seals leak.

So as long as this had enough volume and was pliable enough, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure some engineer/physicist could easily tell you what the volume of X amount of air is at Y degrees and then what the volume is at Z degrees.
    My signature

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast