Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible looking at swapping out the stock gears...advice?

possible looking at swapping out the stock gears...advice?

I'm looking for some advise about possibly switching out my stock gears. Right now I'm running a 3" OME suspension lift with 32" (265 75 16) Nitto Terra Grapplers.

As expected, I have lost some up hill power and acceleration speed and I am looking to get some back. I'v done alot of searching and have seen alot of people recommend the 4:88s, normally ideal for someone running 33" though. Any input on this? Also, if someone could provide a direct link to what I should buy, that would be a huge help. I have seen a couple different 4:88 sizes I believe...just want to see which ones I should be looking for. Also, is the a PDF or website where I would view some instructions for this job before hand?

Thanks.
    2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition<br />Old Man Emu : Sonoran Steel : ToyTec : Nitto : Yakima:&nbsp; OEM

Re: possible looking at swapping out the stock gears...advice?

Randy's R&P is where I bought mine, 4:88 Yukon Gear-set with master install kit. Call them up and they will walk you through everything you need. I was able to bargain with them over the phone for savings.

As far as the install- I’m not sure of your expertise; this is the kind of setup that is best done by someone with plenty of experience in gears. The results of a gear install with event the minutest variance will almost guarantee headaches down the road in terms of longevity, noise and possible failure.

Randy’s sells a book dedicated to gear installation aside from the basic directions provided with gear sets. Their R&P warranty seems to revolve around proper setup, such a claim scrutinizes the wear pattern for improper installation.
    1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

You have an auto it looks like, so 4.30 I believe? The jump, if you want to call it that, from 4.30 to 4.88 is not much. Sure you might get back to a stock feeling but it's going to cost a lot and in my opinion not anywhere close to a wise use of money. Most 4runners I see around town have a tire size close to yours (even 33-35") and I bet none are re-geared. Not saying those guys are doing it wrong but just saying it probably isn't worth it or needed. Now if you were going to 35's re-gearing would be needed to make it more drivable on the street.

Doing gears is somewhat a task and I've paid people to do it. To do it right you need some tools and hopefully a knowledgable helpful hand. If you "wing" it you have a chance to ruin expensive parts and waste a lot of time. Some people have a knack for it though and can bust out good work their first time.

thanks for the input. to answer some your question, i will be paying the same guy who installed my lift do to this. plenty on experience with this type of job, i just wanted to see for myself what was involved. right now i am kicking around the idea for moving up to 33" for my next set of tires, probably 255/85s...and iv heard if your running 33" you would want to re-gear, for sure.
    2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition<br />Old Man Emu : Sonoran Steel : ToyTec : Nitto : Yakima:&nbsp; OEM

You probably already know this, but don't forget you have to do the front too.

Also, since you'll be doing the gears you might as well put in a locker at least in the rear. It'll save you money in the long run.

Alternatively, you could buy a whole third member, locked or not, and do it yourself. The upfront costs might be more, but it might be cheaper than paying somebody to install gears. Checkout the usual suspects like marlin, inchworm and allpro.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I would verify first what kind of gears you have. Could be 4.10 or 4.30 or in rare cases 4.56 (doubt that one). Then decide about it to be sure.

I like Randys R&P myself, if your not to good about getting the gears setup then I would talk to Zuk (do a search). You send them to him, he sets them up so all you gotta do is drop them in and hes cheap!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

456 is the ratio to get your 410 equiped 4runner back to stock ratios with 33" 488 will give you a higher rpm on the interstate.

if your in no rush id wait for used thirds....total coast of parts and install was $2200ish for me. yukon gears and full install kits run $1100ish

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    if your in no rush id wait for used thirds....total coast of parts and install was $2200ish for me. yukon gears and full install kits run $1100ish
    yikes...thats alot more then what i thought everything would run. i might just stick with what i have for now. thanks for all the input guys.

Yeah
    4.30 vs. 4.88 vs $2200*
    *add more for traction devices

Quess which one wins?

Much cheaper to find a wrecked truck with what you want and swap the entire rear (if its an e-locker)in as well as the gears to the front.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast