Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me wire my CB

Help me wire my CB

Alright so first thing on the list is the CB radio. I have it mounted on the pass. side of the center console. I pulled off the trim piece on the very bottom where the 2 12v accessory plugs are, Im thinking of just splicing into those for the power to the cb. Is that viable ? Because I was looking at the firewall passthrough and thats gonna be a biotch. Also stupid question, does a 99 tacoma have a positive grounding system, or negative grounding system..? Any help and tips with this install would be great guys..Thanks !!
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Re: Help me wire my CB

I've heard of people putting a 12v accessory plug on the end of their CB power cable. They just plug the CB into the cig lighter/12 accessoy plug for power.

I don't remember how I ran my wires, but pretty sure I didn't run any through the firewall. I think I ran them into the fuse panel somehow. I'll have to go look.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Very easy:
    Find a 12V positive. In my case I have mine mounted to an auxillary fuse block with positive power from the battery.

If you dont have that find a 12v accessory like your cig lighter, which you can splice into. Or you can find an unused spot on the fuse panel in the lower kick panel and put it in there. All you need is a wire to fit in there or they make ends to fit it. You need a circuit tester to check for power tho.

Splice into whatever, then connect the ground to a piece of metal like the body or in my case there was a piece inside my dash. The CB is already fused so your good there, get an antenna and tune it or have someone tune it for you and your ready to go. Dont turn ont he cb without tuning the antenna as it can damage the cb

You can do the 12v cig lighter adapter if you want, but why since hooking a cb up is cake. Shoot, i have mine wired with plugs so I can take the cb out anytime I want to.

All cars made int he last 50 or so years pretty much have aneagative ground system.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

hell yea scuber! about time you got a cb. you may be able to squeeze the wire through the rubber gromment area of the stearing wheel. i know stereo amp wire is sometimes passed through that way. let me know what you think of your pa speaker. mine is way to quiet to be of any use but it could be the cheaper radio im using

oh and figure out if you will want to run the cb without the key turned in the ignition. i didnt so i went into the cig lighter. that way i wont run my battery down by accident when i walk away

Yeah, I just looked at mine. I spliced it into the cig lighter as well.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I have a couple of 12v accessories I run in the cab. Because of this I ran one 8ga wire into the cab to an aux fuse box. I now have my gps, rock lights, oba, cb powered off of this fuse box and not a bunch of wires running through the firewall along with a bundle of terminal ends at my battery.

I was able to run the 8ga wire through the factory grommet. It took about 45 minutes but it's clean and sealed.

If you want to prevent receive/transmit problems, run a wire directly from the battery (fused of course) to the CB. The ground wire should be as short as possible to a good ground, preferably the body (not a bracket). Your CB will thank you for the cleaner power source by giving you better receive/transmit quality and less interference with other things in the truck (when I key up, my voice used to come out of the rear speakers - I'm not transmitting massive power either), just don't forget to turn it off if you leave it parked for an extended period of time.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Great advice guys, Thanks !! umm, Im thinking tomorrow when I have some time ill look at trying to get it through the firewall to the battery again..and then the ground, I guess ill go right under the shifter for that..that should be about it... Ill keep you all updated on the sitch. Thanks !!
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Look under the floor carpet too or look at the underside of your cab for rubber grommets. That's where I have some wires going through.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Are those the "drain plugs" that I've heard about and maybe seen in a build thread or 5..? I believe I know what you mean..So Ill check around too. I was just looking at the passenger side and the rubber grommet is hidden behind heater core and vents and a mess of other things, Didnt even want to start there...In the ol 91, you could see the sun through there by peering up from the floorboard...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast