Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me wire my CB

Re: Help me wire my CB

My roomie has an '02 Tacoma and ran an electric fan control harness through the passenger side firewall grommet, so a single power wire is do-able.

The best trick I've seen is to take a metal coat hanger and use it as a fish to get your antenna wire or cabling through the firewall grommet. Cut one end at an angle (slash cut), poke that end through the grommet (not just anywhere, but through the center), then tape your power wire to the uncut end of the coat hanger and pull everything through. Might take a few tries, but once you get it, you're golden; no torn grommets, and nice clean power straight from the battery.

If you plan on adding multiple accessories inside the cab that will need a constant 12v (straight from the battery), you might want to install an auxiliary fuse block somewhere, then you'll only need to run one wire through the firewall instead of multiple wires to feed each accessory...... Additionally, if there is concern about accidentally leaving the CB turned on and killing your battery, you can run the CB's power wire through a relay. Actuate the relay with an ignition 12v source, and the CB will have no power when the truck is turned off. By the same token, you'll need the truck in 'ACC' or 'RUN' to use the CB, but that's not terribly unreasonable.

My '04 extra-cab has little cubbies behind the front seats, but I'm not sure if the single-cab trucks have them or not. Nifty place to put an aux fuse block (and an FT-8800R), since space under the dash is non-existent... Oh, and don't say anything about the dog hair.

--- Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Terracoma
    ...... Additionally, if there is concern about accidentally leaving the CB turned on and killing your battery, you can run the CB's power wire through a relay. Actuate the relay with an ignition 12v source, and the CB will have no power when the truck is turned off. By the same token, you'll need the truck in 'ACC' or 'RUN' to use the CB, but that's not terribly unreasonable.

Batt power to one post, then through a relay to the "switched ignition post"
    I got both isolation posts from a junkyard for the cost of pocket lint
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

while we are on the subject of CB's:

Does anyone know that once I tune the CB if i were to chop the wire length of the power and negative from the cb would it change the tune? I personally tuned it for SWR myself and dont feel like doing it again unless I have to.

I forgot I had been wanting to make my CB quick disconnect and atm its still hard wired in. The ground wire is full length and i think its why im picking up the higher engine rpms when the squelch isnt on.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

no your power connector should not affect your swr, just your antenna placement and coax length, etc.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thats what I thought, I wonder why Im getting the engine RPM coming thru tho? wont hear it unless I have the squelch turned off tho.

Im thinking its the ground, the wire itself is long and coiled inside the dash since i never cut it down, and the fact I ground it to a bracket inside the dash maybe.

is it grounded in two places? like grounded to the body with a bracket and then grounded for power? that could cause problems maybe?

or the body not being grounded like it should?

i used to get interference from my ABS when it would kick in, and then one day it went away... who knows. used to scream back at me through the speaker when the abs would kick in.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    no your power connector should not affect your swr, just your antenna placement and coax length, etc.
    I agree unless you voltage fluctuates often. Also everything between your radio and antenna will change your standing wave ratio. .02

Well heres the deal. My + runs from outside into the cab form an aux fuse block. The - runs into a bracket inside the dash, the - wire itself is still the same length it was when it came out of the box.

I think its the ground wire, although shielded the neg wire is touching the rest of the bracketry inside the dash.

Im gonna try shortening the negative wire. Otherise i may need a noise filter I guess.

Forgot to add, higher the fan runs (as in the blower fan) the more noise i get with squelch off. have it mildly on and its fine. Im gonna try the ground wire first..

My CB is connected (+ & -) to the aux fuse box behind my stereo and I don't have any interference. It might be your fluctuating power or CB. I think my power cable is full factory length and the ground wire is pretty short (~1ft).

I ran a noise filter in my other truck and it didn't fix a thing. It's a heavy duty radio shack model. If your interested in it I can see if I can dig it up.

I think the ground wire is looping b/c its like 5 feet long and all coiled up inside the dash-touching various metal stuff.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast