Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaos Edition's new military trailer

Chaos Edition's new military trailer

Not sure if this is the WORST decision especially in this rough time but the deal was too sweet to pass up.

Not sure which one it is but I suspect it's a m416 trailer. The tail gate has been added by the previous owner along with a new axle (5 lug to pimp the Jeep wheels). The tongue has also been cut off and extended and the factory hand brake and stand has been removed.

The rust doesn't look that bad (mostly surface rust). One hole along the bend about a good inch size which can be fixed in a jiffy.

Not sure what the deal with the exo frame sitting on top but that'll come off in a hurry.

Cool shovel included in the purchase price and this black box (which doesn't close/lock).

Fenders are in pretty good shape.

The PO did the cut and weld for the tail gate and did a poor job on aligning them so it's all jacked up. Another thing to fix.

Significant surface rush on the inner fender wall area (as expected).

The frame looks good but has lots of surface rust so I'll be removing the tub when I get a chance and get her all cleaned up.

Overall I'm very happy with the condition of the trailer. Time to this too!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: Chaos Edition's new military trailer

heck yeah! that will have a million and one uses for you. nice find!

Nice,

Makes me want to go start my trailer project.
    I got a free mini trailer from Pop's neighbor. Want to convert it to Military style.

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Cool. My little trailer has been super helpful for me. It's no off roader but hauls great.

I'm curious, what does that thing weigh? Inside floor dimensions? It looks like it would be a tad lighter than stock as it has a different, lighter duty, axle and rims. No to mention the lack of brake and handles along with the pintle hitch.

That rust doesn't look bad at all and after a little work and sealing it look like new.

Not sure if this is the WORST decision especially in this rough time but the deal was too sweet to pass up.
    A bad decision would be to buy that van/rv in the background of your first picture and poor money into it. If the trailer was a good deal you did fine.

Here's the data for the stock m416.

Length: 108.5"
    Width: 60.5"
    Height: 42"
    Dry Weight: 670#

Cargo Body:
    Length: 72"
    Width: 41"
    Height: 18"

Since my trailer does not have the stock axle, wheels and pintle I'm sure I'm saving a ton of weight. Everything else appears to be in good working condition. They added a new rear cross member but that'll come off with something a bit better. I was able to pull/push without any effort so I'd say it's probably a good 100# lighter? No clue.

My business neighbor is a powder coating shop so I'll disassemble the tub and frame and have em sand blast the sucker. After that I'll reassemble everything and redo the tail gate, add a lid and do a few other things to clean it up.

I don't have room to take the trailer apart until I can move the 4runner so it'll be a few weeks before I can get to it. I'm just happy I was able to snag it as it's definitely the cheapest I've ever seen within the last year or so in the condition it's in.

That rv/van in the first pic was apparently sold and in the process of being picked up today. Apparently someone put a deposit on it and was coming back today to pay the remaining balance so go figure. He has another trailer but it's just one of those uhaul style trailer for hauling large items.

I tell ya you find the best deals in the worst economic state. Really sucks to take advantage of the situation but hell, I'll take it before someone else does!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Good find I've been on the lookout for an M416 or Canadian M101 for a while, but I think I'll be SOL finding one that's not rotted in the North East. I like the shelf on the front of yours . . . . so is a LT in the future for this?

Instead I'm thinking of picking up one of these eventually
    [img width=800 height=600]http://ravenwoodindustries.com/images/XMIL_Basic_Series.JPG[/img]
    a bit bigger & heavier (though I found a hookup for $500), and it can serve double duty hauling/house chores
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

This guy has a scratch built trailer he's been working on for a bit. It's a pretty awesome trailer, and he has a lot of cool ideas with it.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech...up-thread.html
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Nice Lance!

I'm sure you are really close if not more than the original dry weight. You probably saved some weight on the axle, but the extended tongue and platform with the added trailer leg will weigh way more than the original lunette ring and simple leg. Not to mention the rear added cross bar and spare tire.

They are balanced really well and I can move mine by hand in my driveway with it fully loaded and I don't have a flat driveway.

I can't wait to see what you do to it.

Keith, you might want to check the dimensions on that trailer you posted. It's probably a good foot or more wider than your 4runner and is really tall and they do weigh quite a bit more than the m416. I saw one towed behind a 80 series and it looked rediculous. If you lowered it (a lot) it could work good for chores, motorcycles, etc... but it is too wide for most trails. The reason they are so cheap is that they don't work well with many civilian vehicles, as they are just too big and tall.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer

Keith, you might want to check the dimensions on that trailer you posted. It's probably a good foot or more wider than your 4runner and is really tall and they do weigh quite a bit more than the m416. I saw one towed behind a 80 series and it looked ridiculous. If you lowered it (a lot) it could work good for chores, motorcycles, etc... but it is too wide for most trails. The reason they are so cheap is that they don't work well with many civilian vehicles, as they are just too big and tall.
    Ditto what Slo said. I've been thinking it would be cool to take the larger deuce and a half trailer and cut it down to match the 4Runners width. Cut some out of the floor and bring the sides in so it isn't so wide. Then build a new chassis. Basically only keep the bed and sides to make an "XL" M416.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

lance sorry i couldnt make it today. wife bought some yarn related thing last night and said tomorrow (today) we need to pick it up or else it might be taken. anyways, lets fix your truck first and then work on the trailer. it goes w/o saying that those fender flares will need to be removed. looks like they bolt on, no? i betcha that's the place where you will have the most rust: the area where the fender flares hit the side of the tub. but yeah, have that shizzle sand blasted so we know where to cut and remove the rust. a good friend of yours is an expert in the field chris, bring your trusty rusty 4x4 van and i'll put on a clinic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast