Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition caliber discussion

Ammunition caliber discussion

[Edit - Good Times - Split thread]
    This is a spin off from an existing thread about steel plate targets. (http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=7386.0)
    [/Edit]

haha yea 5.56(.223) is a bad ass round. ever seen the ballistic gel tests? shock wave initial cavity is huge!

Sadly as bad ass as you think 5.56 is, they are pumping our enemies full of them and they get back up somehow?

I like 30 cal guns, 7.62x39 AK is my preferred weapon of choice, but I love the M14. Hit that sucker with some 30 cal and lets see what happens to those plates!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Sadly as bad ass as you think 5.56 is, they are pumping our enemies full of them and they get back up somehow?

dont believe too much of the hype. 5.56 is very ineffective on drugged up enemy's. but those are the same combatants that you basicly have to delimb to stop.

id like to see the 30.06 with fmj bullets. its a slow mover but its got to do some damage

Im sorry I shoulda used a sarcasm tag.

I dont like 5.56...unless its custom loads, anything factory forget about it.

One of the original reasons for the 5.56 in the military, was that it was thought that by killing an enemy combatant you have only taken one out of the fight, but badly wound a combatant and you've taken 4 out of the fight. (at least this is what we were told in the Marines)

That thinking doesn't work as much against the type of combatant they are faceing now though.
    My signature

I've heard goods and bads about the 5.56 bullets. The goods, tumbles like a SOB. Instances of bullets entering abdomens have come out in the face/neck area. The bads, not quite enough energy to be really effective every time.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    One of the original reasons for the 5.56 in the military, was that it was thought that by killing an enemy combatant you have only taken one out of the fight, but badly wound a combatant and you've taken 4 out of the fight. (at least this is what we were told in the Marines)

That thinking doesn't work as much against the type of combatant they are faceing now though.
    It never worked and never will. A dead guy is a dead guy, a guy thats been shot can still fight in alot of cases.. Big issue is the 5.56 loads they use dont do well out of anything less than a 20" bbl, and we all seem to be using 16" and 14" bbls now.

But lets get back to topic..

The problem with the wounded combatant theory is that most of the opponents we fight today, as well as some in history, don't come to their injured's aid like we do. So it is a theory we project but not one valued by bad guys.

I'm going to get a 6.8 upper for my AR. It is a more effective round, but not NATO so it could become a wildcat. I reload, so it's not that big of a deal. With a NATO upper and several thousand rounds of ammo, I think I'm covered were 6.8 ammo to get scarce. It does use the same mags as 5.56x45 which is kool.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

That Fuster is the problem, there guy falls they dont care they keep on going.

6.8 in the least is what should be used, but its not NATO so they wont.

*puts tin foil hat on* I think the NATO rounds are intentionally dumbed down so as to make small arms war impotent. Fine with me, but the perps around the world are not so limited. They can use whichever configuration they want while we are confined to NATO standards.

*leaves foil on head for a while*
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast