Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Camping Table

Re: Homemade Camping Table

I have a larger version of this table and I really like it. REI is doing a 20% off sale now.
    http://www.rei.com/product/765280

Actually, it's this one from cabelas
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...t=search_redir

I think the PVC will be kinda wobbly without some triangulation.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

So I've been looking online for fiberglass. What kind do I want? I guess it needs to be somewhat structural and not necessarily decorative. How well will fiberglass put up with heat? Like the stove, grease, hot pot? My other thought was roll on bedliner. I'd want it to be somewhat smooth so it can be wiped off, not to mention smooth so it won't tear up anything that is stored on top of it while traveling.

I have a Spruce aircraft catalog that has a lot of different types. Problem is that it is for large quantities and is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    For fiberglass, you do the bottom first. Cut the sheet so that it can fold over the edge partway . Resin it. Then do the top in the same manner, but cut the sheet so that it not only folds onto the edge, but also onto the bottom just a little bit. If you want to get real fancy, do a color resin on the top.

To be honest, I'm not sure how will the resin and fiberglass will bond with plywood (call a boatshop about this). As long as they say it bonds well, then I wouldn't worry about it flexing. I doubt for the size you're doing, it is going to flex anymore than a 12ft. longboard. For that matter, get a giant blank and shape yourself table.

It would be real easy to recess your led lights into the fiberglass table and glass right over the top of them. Not so easy to change them if they ever go out though.
    Oh OK, I didn't think about doing the bottom but it would make it easier. I also didn't think about boats. Maybe it would be easier to make a table out of the very large stop sign I have in my garage. It's a little heavy and sharp though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    I have a larger version of this table and I really like it. REI is doing a 20% off sale now.
    http://www.rei.com/product/765280

Actually, it's this one from cabelas
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...t=search_redir

Those prices are better, not to mention we just got our dividend today. I worked at REI for 9 years and always saw those come back. Most had broken shock cord in the tops but were still functional. I worked in the shop so I was always being asked to try to fix those, maybe that why I don't like them. Ideally I wanted something flat I could stack all the gear on.

Most surfshops have a roll of fiberglass and will sell it to you by the foot.
    My signature

So to my question about thickness. I thought I had seen grey pvc that was pretty thick walled. They were in short pieces but thick. Google says that common pvc types are 40, 80, and 120. HD had 40. I'm thinking 80 or 120, with thicker walls, would be better. Do box stores carry this? I need a 10 foot section or equivalent, in 30" sections.

I'd had to find one online. I live a little inland although maybe there is something in town. I think lowes or HD have the resin in smaller quantities.

The thin plywood is best for this, its incredibly strong believe it or not! The stuff is like 1/8 thick maybe.

I would build it to fold up somehow, maybe using metal or something..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I'd had to find one online. I live a little inland although maybe there is something in town. I think lowes or HD have the resin in smaller quantities.
    Don't you come down here like every other weekend?
    My signature

maybe tomorrow when im a little more coherent ill post up in this thread and give you my two cents about what i think you should do. an entire day of doing statics and programming and my brain is kind of cooked. id never get my point across.

all i gotta say is, table top wise id wrap some thin plywood in fiberglass, flexable but incredably strong. inbedded in that fiberglass top would be the mounting points for the legs, something very easy to set up, ill try to get something drawn up tomorrow to help inspire you.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast