Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack Mounted Canopy

Re: Roof Rack Mounted Canopy

Alright, no baby so I'll post pictures.

Here is the bar spread I am looking at.
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Canopy/DSC06919.jpg[/img]

I don't have a measurement but you get the idea. Ideally the canopy would be the distance of the bar spread plus a foot or so and then extend outward.

Here are the star fangled nuts I plan on inserting into the bars.
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Canopy/DSC06913.jpg[/img]

One is for a 1" steerer, one for a thin walled 1 1/8" steerer and the other is for a thick walled or AL 1 1/8" steerer. Steerer tubes are the piece that comes off the crown on a threadless bicycle fork. These are common sizes and can be had from your LBS.

Here is where they will go.

F'ing paint. I got a little in my hair. I am told baby oil will get it out. If not out come the clippers.

Once the nuts are in the bars I will have a threaded hole in a solid anchor. I might finish it off with a top cap. Some are metal and some are plastic. I have to find my others.

I have to find a few more parts before I start but this is my idea for attaching the canopy part to the vehicle. I think this will work great for sun. As for rain, I think if it's blowing water will be able to get to you easily. One good thing about attaching it to the bars is that the canopy is high enough to still be able to open the door yet angled enough to drain water off.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 03-29-2017 at 10:57 AM.

OK, so the Jamacian thing is a little tacky and frankly annoying, but the product itself is great. Why spend hours and hours rigging up PVC pipes and tarps when you can just BUY one?

For one $100 is too much for what it is. I picture the spring return thing breaking early on. For 2 it's too long. I wouldn't have it attached to the rack all the time and it won't fit in the 4runner with the seats up. I have a kid on the way so the seats have to be up and no big pointy things propped up on them. My idea will be something I can fit in an old 2 man tent stuff sack and put under a seat.

And besides its more fun to make stuff!
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Ok, you got me on that one. It is fun to make stuff! Go for it! I still like what I have.

I went to HD and spent a whole $9. I got some PVC, pipe ends and couplers.

It's 2 sticks of 3/4" and 2 sticks of 1".

I made a hole and then using a die grinder I enlarged it.

Those were for practice. I then cut my pieces and made the holes in them. Here is the engagement.

Fit on the bars. Keep in mind there will be a wing nut screw holding these on.

With couple. I wanted this to pack down small.

All the PVC.

I cut a slit to try to make something that will clamp on. It took a long time, made a big mess and I don't think it'll work.

I was going to spen a little more time working on this but my wife came out and told me her water broke

I have to go now, if she finds out I'm doing this instead of composing an email to family I'm toast and not the good kind. Ken you might have to keep this on the down low for now. If family and friends found out this was posted in a forum before they got an email I'm done for.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 03-29-2017 at 10:59 AM.

LOL. Man, are you going to deliver a baby with those hands!?! Your wife is going to kill you, and as long as the rest of your family never sees the post above, at least you'll have their support.

Looks like a nice start to the canopy project. I like the idea of the PVC slipping onto the Yakima bars via the holes. Now if only you could find a 8x12 pirate flag to use as the awning material...

I didn't think of a pirate flag, I like it.

The hands are clean and ready to go.

Arrr

A pirate flag would be smashing.

Why not a few sewn together?
    or one in the middle of some plain black panels?
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Had a moment so I drilled a couple of holes. I need to run to the hardware store to get some longer metric bolts. The star nuts have a metric thread.

The nut is not in the bar yet. Once it is the bolt will be straight. I'm thinking a bolt with a wing nut on it. It doesn't have to be tight but just keep the pvc on the ends of the bars.

This is what it might look like.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 03-29-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast