Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack Mounted Canopy

Re: Roof Rack Mounted Canopy

I was able to make a trip to the local Ace. I needed longer bolts and a metric wingnut. This is what I came home with.

I think these will working fine. The plastic is good because these bolts shouldn't be too tight.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 03-29-2017 at 11:01 AM.

its looking nice!

*Mike, pick up some washers and bend them to the radius of the pvc to prevent stress cracks around the wingnut/bolt.

All you'd need to do is use a piece of 4x4 scrap with a hole the O/D of the pvc drilled across the grain, then cut in half the direction the hole goes, insert the washer, and using a metal pipe, beat on the pipe to bend the washer. It's basically the same method used to make head tube badges and bike stay braces.

http://www.headbadges.com/id75.html

So I'm trying something new. I want to try square metal for the piece that attaches to the rack bars. The flat sides will make it easier to attach the tarp to (I was thinking about this last night when the baby had gas and wouldn't stop crying). I got a piece of metal.

The plan is to cut in half so the break down size will be short.

Question. How to I reattach the 2 pieces for use? You know, like using the coupler for the PVC. I bought steel instead of aluminum just in case I need to weld on it. The stock is 1-1/4 square and pretty thin wall.

I couldn't find a size that fit snuggly inside so I'm thinking I'll have to make something.

My quick shade pop up tent has interlocking legs that use a spring loaded nub that clicks into a hole to hole the legs together. I was thinking about copying it but I think I would crash and burn.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 03-29-2017 at 11:01 AM.

get a small piece of tube that matches the ID of the tube you have, sleeve it. just a 3 inch piece, 1.5 inch in each end.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    get a small piece of tube that matches the ID of the tube you have, sleeve it. just a 3 inch piece, 1.5 inch in each end.
    I'd need to find something with a 1-1/8" OD/outer dimension and I can't. I already looked into this. Maybe I have an old steerer tube I can hack on. Maybe some plastic. It's easy to shape into the correct dimensions. Metal welded in there would be nice but I'm thinking I'll have problems building a little 4 sided square to fit in there. You know, 4 equal strips welded together in a square. I picture burning myself, lots of grinding and a sloppy fit. We'll see.

Take a section of the same material and just cut it into 4 corner braces. (Once you cut it down it'll fit the I.D.)

Make the pieces at least 4" long, so you end up with an even 2" amount in both sides.

Drill 4 small holes a little under 3/4" apart in 4 spots on each of the 4 sides of the main piece so you can tack weld in your 4 I.D. braces, basically so you have a place to throw spot welds and fill the holes up with weld.

You'll end up with a "castled" tube that you simply slide into the adjoining piece. Simple and effective.

Now if you're really a hot welder, you'll have chamfered the inside of the first tube so you can also throw down some weld bead on the castle tops to strengthen them even further. You then take smaller pieces to interlock with the castle side and have a really sweet interference fit.

*Note*I use the term "Castle Joint" loosely b/c it's really late and the proper term escapes me right now..think in terms of how a lego block or splined driveshaft works, but with only 4 sides, and that should help a little..If you're unsure of what I mean exactly, I can possibly convince Kevin (4RunnerChevy) to let me come over and play with some scrap and make a piece up to show you what I mean exactly.

All this went through my head last night. Even the hot welder but not in the good and experienced welder. More like the, SOB that is hot.

I may look into getting another piece and doing what you said.

Now when you say corner braces what do you mean? Is that like cutting 4" off and slicing the metal like Subway sandwich bread on all sides. Then the welds will hold it into place?

yeah, you would basically be making 4 angle pieces from that square tube. the width of the grinder wheel as it takes away the metal would probably be enough to shrink it so they fit in the tube.

same kinda thing is done for round plastic tube. slice one side, collapse it in and push it inside the tube.

so any particular reason why you decided against the plastic pipe? seems like its generally easier to work with, lighter weight, etc.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I need the flat sides. Unless you can think of a way to join the tarp and round PVC. The plan is to make 2 or 3 holes in the tarp and insert grommets. I would make the 2 or 3 holes in the metal as well and use some kind of sealed bolt to attach the tarp to the metal. I guess I could do this with the PVC as well but for some reason at 3am it didn't sound like it was going to work.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast