Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack Mounted Canopy

Re: Roof Rack Mounted Canopy

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    yeah, you would basically be making 4 angle pieces from that square tube. the width of the grinder wheel as it takes away the metal would probably be enough to shrink it so they fit in the tube.

same kinda thing is done for round plastic tube. slice one side, collapse it in and push it inside the tube.

so any particular reason why you decided against the plastic pipe? seems like its generally easier to work with, lighter weight, etc.
    What you are describing as far as tapering would be a slip-sleeve joint, the castle method's a lot stronger if done right.

much stronger, i was just trying to paint him a picture of how to do it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The wife took the baby to her parents today so I got a chance to work on this after work. I'd say I am done with the first version. It works, it was really sunny today, and held up to moderate breezes. Looking at it set up looks like it would have a hard time handling rain. The center of the tarp sags and would fill with water. I'm thinking a frame around it all would be needed to keep it taught. Maybe I should look at those sport shades again and see how they did it.

Hole.

Tool used to jam something into hole.

Jamming action shot.

Jammed hole.

Here is the tarp support bar held in place with the allen cap screws.

More. I could drive like this all the time if need be. Alone they are the longest pieces.

HF Tarp. It's a lot smaller than I though it was.

I don't know why, I had the dimensions the whole time. I just never opened the package.

I guess it's fine for now. As it is the tarp sags because it's thick and heavy. Any bigger and I'd be looking for more legs to support it.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 03-29-2017 at 11:11 AM.

This is version 1 of the poles. I had to grind down the outer radius of the fiberglass pole to fit inside of the aluminum pole. In the end the fiberglass section was not stiff enough. One hour wasted. I wanted to use the fiberglass pole because the ferreled end was big and fit perfectly in the tarp grommet.

I ended up using all aluminum poles and modifying one end with a hole and electrical tape to make it hold the tarp.
    This is the only picture I have of that.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 03-29-2017 at 12:41 PM.

I marked and drilled 3 holes in the PVC. In these holes I installed riv-nuts. I used some small bolts through the grommet holes to hold the tarp to the pvc at the vehicle.

Nutted

Blurry picture of my nut and pipe.

These are the tent stakes I had from when I built one of these for my truck. The old version hung off the bed rail. I never used it.

Here she is.

Door opens and it stays up by itself. As you can see after some rain it'll be a pain. I was thinking some shock cord going to the diagonals to keep the tarp from sagging. A larger tarp would be nice but I think it would be a lot more work. The sport shade one doesn't look to be any bigger.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 03-29-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Nice!! I like how you used the 1" star nuts and the bottle cage nutserts.

BTW...
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Canopy/DSC06985.jpg[/img]

Someone's playing w/ XT, too bad Mine are better/cooler! Gears are for queers, as long as you're comfortable with that.
    (..and the Timbuk IPod holder also makes a sweet wallet!)

Door opens and it stays up by itself. As you can see after some rain it'll be a pain. I was thinking some shock cord going to the diagonals to keep the tarp from sagging. A larger tarp would be nice but I think it would be a lot more work. The sport shade one doesn't look to be any bigger.
    Use another tent rod in the middle two holes going across and the arch created will solve that.
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Canopy/DSC06993.jpg[/img]

Picked up one of these yet??

[img width=400 height=800]http://www.campist.com/archives/nissan-pathfinder-murano-x-trail-qashqai-suv-tent.jpg[/img]

Picked one up, headed out to catch a race, camped the night before and had the best spot to throw out tech support!!

Dude, that turned out great! You really used some creativity and nice hardware...great job! Now you HAVE to go to Death Valley this fall...

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Nice!! I like how you used the 1" star nuts and the bottle cage nutserts.

BTW...
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Canopy/DSC06985.jpg[/img]

Someone's playing w/ XT, too bad Mine are better/cooler! Gears are for queers, as long as you're comfortable with that.
    (..and the Timbuk IPod holder also makes a sweet wallet!)

My 1FG has King SS ISO hubs ($$). My hardtail race bike has either Crossmax wheels or XT/Hugi mix. I usually ride single speed and race shifting hardtail. This wheel set is for my 29'er. I had it set up SS but I couldn't get the gearing down and was bummed I couldn't get it to fit like my Cannondale so it got some gears. The 29'er is just so big it's hard for me to get over it. I guess if I were taller I would feel more at home on it.

I figure since we have the baby now it'll be the burley trailer bike/rain race bike as my wife thinks the trailer and fixie will be a bad idea. I told her you have to give it a try before you can consider it bad.

On a plus note I had my first race of the season and I bagged first for my age/class division. That's good but I think the bad is that I get bumped up to the next class.

BTW the ID of the Yakima bars accept an 1-1/8 star nut. The 1" didn't even touch the sides. It was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. The Timbuk2 case is for my point and shoot camera. I also have one for my ipod that rides on my bag. My wallet most of the time is a fishing license holder. Small and waterproof.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast