Thread: frame welding help

frame welding help

Alright, i am no pro welder, but i do have skill enough to make it strong, i cracked my frame last run out and came to notice that the whole inside of my frame rail is gone...

So, tonight if i can get into the building i am going to take the box off, drop the gas tank, and cut away anything that is bad. i know a lot of you have fixed frames so i need some tips.

- i have been told no virtical welds, some people say this will make a weak spot in the frame?

- any tips on welding upside down, i can lay a nice beed flat, but as soon as i fight gravity i loose

I am using a stick welder

Any tips would make me happy.
    3" body lift, 33x12.5 wild countries on 10" rims, pioneer speakers, sony deck/amp/12"sub. 3.5" pipe bumpers, heavy foot.

Re: frame welding help

Are you planning on just welding the cracks? I would use patches. Go out and get some flat stock, cut to fit the frame rail and weld in. I would make these pieces maybe a foot long with the crack being at the center. Is your frame boxed. How did you plan on putting it back together once you cut stuff out/off.

Quote Originally Posted by made in canada
    Alright, i am no pro welder, but i do have skill enough to make it strong, i cracked my frame last run out and came to notice that the whole inside of my frame rail is gone...

So, tonight if i can get into the building i am going to take the box off, drop the gas tank, and cut away anything that is bad. i know a lot of you have fixed frames so i need some tips.

- it have been told no virtical welds, some people say this will make a weak spot in the frame?

- any tips on welding upside down, i can lay a nice beed flat, but as soon as i fight gravity i loose

I am using a stick welder

Any tips would make me happy.
    First, whomever told you no vertical welds, is full of crap. ALL CERTIFIED WELDS ARE DONE VERTICAL UP.

Overhead is as almost as easy as flat. Just wear more protection from debris.

Second, If you want advise, on how to do it, post a pic.

It will need doublers, and some very near full pen welds. So ask around.

Wear ear plugs.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

drill a 1/4" hole at each end of the crack to stop "crack propagation" - grind the crack down to create a valley and fill it all in - no scab pieces necessary - use a flap wheel to make it smooth and level, some paint and call it a day with a cold beer
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    drill a 1/4" hole at each end of the crack to stop "crack propagation" - grind the crack down to create a valley and fill it all in - no scab pieces necessary - use a flap wheel to make it smooth and level, some paint and call it a day with a cold beer
    I second this, but plating it will beef up the frame which would help down the road as you never know. If it were me I would plate as much as I can, then when your all done take a few qts of gear oil and pour it into the frame from the front on a hill-oil doesnt rust.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

ok, im going to go at it today, ill post pictures before during and after.
    3&quot; body lift, 33x12.5 wild countries on 10&quot; rims, pioneer speakers, sony deck/amp/12&quot;sub. 3.5&quot; pipe bumpers, heavy foot.

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    If your going to do it this way, leave the weld. .02