Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: welding carts---why the rearward tilt?

Re: weld carts---why the rearward tilt?

Alright, so after viewing about a dozne different designs, I'm gonna keep it simple:

Question: I want to build a small welding table on top. To start, its gonna be wood until I can rustle up some money. If I have additional funds, I'd like to build a fold out portion that will expand the table a bit.

what gauge metal is sufficient enough for a welding table?

Does your welder have a side door that opens up from the top? If so, a table on top will get in the way of opening it. I know I open mine up all the time to look at the chart.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Looks good Bob. I like the hinge design. I couldn't find all the pictures I was talking about, they might be on an older computer at home now that I think about it. I do like the one I attached though, just smaller.

As far a a top you have to go big. Most people use super thick pieces that they always seem to score for free. Something like, they were getting rid of it at work or it was just sitting in my neighbors sideyard. I would go thick because you don't want it warping and you'll want to be able to grind off slag and what not. I've also seen people weld bolts and other pieces to the top to use as jigs and holding points. When the project is done they grind them off. You'd need something thick for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    Does your welder have a side door that opens up from the top? If so, a table on top will get in the way of opening it. I know I open mine up all the time to look at the chart.
    Steve,

Yeah, thats why I'm putting the table on the other side.

Mike,

Ok, go big it is! I'll have to go with Lance to find some metal that thick.

Bob

Going big as in thick. I like the table I posted but my version would only have a top thats 4'X5'.

I have seen tables that use thrench plates as tops. Like the tench plates cars drive over. Those are some big mothers, not to mention heavy. I'm not sure how people come across those but it would be nice to get a chunk of one of those.

As mentioned before go thick with the weld table. I would say 1/2" minimum. Leave at least 4" of overhange for clamps and such. We have a couple that are 1" thick which is perfect. With a thick table, it will absorb heat, keep stuff from warping, and you can tack, back brake, and bend.

Ok, I'm about 90% done. So it started with a bed frame:

And fab'd this up over two weeks. Here's the cart with nothing on it:

And a front shot:

I need to gusset up the front outriggers, add some cable hooks, some flooring, and a welding table on top. I am also considering adding some arms that surround the tank that will act as a push cart and to also secure the tank too. But for now, it does the job. Oh, I may paint it as well, but damn, I'm so done with this!

daymn, Mine looks like crap compared to that...

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

So THATS what you were doing with the bed frame... I remembering you posting about it but didn't connect it to this project. Looks awesome! What are you going to use for the top?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I would have never thought about using an old bed frame. Brilliant!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast